• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT or Back Country Extreme secondary kit?

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
Spoke to CPC this week and they told me they don't have anything at present for the 09 w/ electronic reverse, only the previous years.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
It seems like my sled could really use the help of one of these kits but I can't decide which one to go with, I know more people are running the RKT kit but I have heard good things about both.:confused:

hey need - post up your current setup for clutching please...

bone stock w/ just 55/65s i think, right?

To keep it simple, why not try a different helix with a shift assist to start with? try a 42/36 from BDX w/ a shift assist in the old helix style with their conversion kit. should run about $100 total. If you aren't happy, then maybe try the a torsion kit. I'm of the feeling that torsion kits provide more consistency in shifting, but i don't think you'll find a huge gain in track speed over a good setup of factory parts. just IMHO. :D

Running any torsion kit is going to require some other tuning as well, usually less weight in the primary and possibly a different primary spring.

basically what you are looking for is the ability to maintain good backshift single and secondary belt grip without having the same force stop your shifting. the shift assist will help and its only $20. A different helix will also help keep thing progressing too. perhaps even a 42/36 progressive.

Remember you regeared so your secondary is shifting out further at the same given track speeds as before (45mph), so you are compressing that secondary spring even more than before, so you'll need to give a break with either less angle on the helix or softer spring or something to make it shift easier (shift assist).

Also, how are your clutch temps? Both hot or just one? which one?

The Back Country Extreme is alot like the RKT kit from what I understand, in fact some of the parts they both use are from BDX. I just wanted to here from people that have them on there sleds now. Or if I'm lucky enough from someone that has experience with both.

Ya bone stock with 55/65 gears I have a shift assist in the secondary but I'm wondering if its of poor quality, I had to remove the white bushing to get it to work and it has a loose fit as far as side to side. As far as clutch temps go my Primary was getting alot hotter but after the gear down they can both get pretty hot after some more aggresive riding, I try to have will power and not blow the belts up, so I'll stop after a while and open the hood and side panel for a while. Tod with Back Country Extreme includes a S/A in his kit that is one piece and fits well, from what I understand anyway. Oh ya I also have the BDX deflection adjuster on my clutch. My S/A is a three piece, 2- bushings and one bearing. The BDX idea is a pretty good one and would save some cash. I may go that route. Thanks

Premium Features