• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Repacking stinger glass

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have race twins on my 04' RMK 800, and SLP suggested I repack the glass in the stingers. Is this done by cutting the stinger open, replacing the fiberglass, and welding them back shut?
Where do you get new glass?
Thanks, not even sure if this is in the right section.

Somescreenname

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
A lot of them used to be just riveted on at one end, but I assume yours does not have that if you are thinking of cutting them open? I would not recommend cutting them open in the middle because you have a honeycomb material in the middle that holds the packing on the sides so that it does not block exhaust flow. So I would recommend you grind the welds off on the end caps, remove the cap, and this gives you direct access to the inside of the glasspack and makes removing and installing material much easier.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
While you are at it, pack them extra tight. Don't want to sound like a kill-joy, but stingers on those motors (or any motor) in the backcountry are WAYYYYYY too loud. I know SLP has a lot of options, just never know why people choose a race application in a non-race setting. Just try to stay away from the granola crunchers and things will be alright. And definitely go the route Somescreenname advised for getting the packing in and out.

racer

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I'll pack them extra tight, wouldn't mind quieting it down some. I bought the sled used with a junk motor last summer, it came with the race pipes. I was hoping I could get the consumer can for them, but SLP said the diameter of the stinger input is different from the diameter of the can input, and thus wouldn't work.
As far as pissing people off, I always have a snowboard with me, seems to help, as well as being courteous. I've always felt like noise is one of the valid complaints against sleds...feel like a hypocrite. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a set of consumer twins.
Thanks for the tips & help guys!

Update: Cut the tops of the stingers, there was absolutely no glass left in the stingers. Pulled out the small diameter honeycomb/tubes full of holes, wrapped each one in a dirtbike muffler packing material, stuffed the honeycomb tubes back in the outer tube, and welded the tops back on. Made a big difference on noise, waaayyy more quiet at idle and low speed, still loud at high RPM, but nothing like before. I no longer feel the need to wear ear plugs and can talk to people without yelling while my sled warms up. This will work for this season. Next time I'm in MN I'll swing by the family shop and make something more quiet, and probably do a different exhuast exit location (shock tower?).

Last edited:
Premium Features