• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pros/Cons to buying '10 M8 SP LE

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
:confused:I have an 09 and would like to hear some feedback on whether to buy a '10 or not from those with alot more inside information than I do. I don't quite have the time to surf through all the latest report on the new m8, especially, it's new 800 ho engine. I have a very attractive deal on a '10 if I decide to pull the trigger.....Just need some cold hard FACTS to sway my decision...TIA

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
How bout the 10' will beat your 09. You have 163hp out of the box, taller seat(even though it looks funky) and a little lighter than your 09 supposedly. Buy the 10' you know you want to and you won't regret it. It's gonna be the sled to have come next winter. You want it go buy it!

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
first year high perfomance engine scares me.there still updating the 3 year old m1000s.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Do you plan on keeping your 09? If you did and just want a 2nd sled then I'd say pull the trigger. If you plan on selling or trading in your 09 you are probably take btween a 2500 to 3000 hit. For that amount of difference I'd say put a little money in your sled. An SLP single pipe kit and are box mod gets you to close the same HP as the new motor without worry of whether this new motor will hold together. There are people on here that say even a single piped and air modded 09 8 will not keep pace with a 2010 M8 and that may be true, but how much are we talking here. Maybe a sled legnth on a drag race and 10ft futher up on the hill. The 09 and 2010 chassis are the same, weight within a pound or two. I wressled with this same decision and decided to keep my 09 and put a little money into it.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
The only difference is engine and seat. The extra power would be awesome but I did the slp performance package for 1500.00 and my 09 runs awesome now so that may be another consideration. For the 1500 I got the slp pipe, slp intake, porting & head mod, and power commander III. I only have about 150.00 into my clutching that works pretty good. SLP performance package is suppose to be around 169hp, even if it's only 160 it will put you about the same as the 2010.

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
the only way you are going to get there is with engine mods, pipe alone isn't close to the 10. The thing that really impressed me was the grunt the 10 had, I haven't felt that with the ported sleds I've ridden. I have a 09 and I'm leaning towards the 10. I liked the seat except when you have your shin on the side of it pulling it around, the molding is not padded and it pokes through. Small complaint but for tree riders that ride laterally this is a design flaw. I thought my 09 was the perfect boondock sled but the 10 is a huge improvement, I know the sled has a lot of miles in testing on it already so hopefully it'll hold up.

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
Do you plan on keeping your 09? If you did and just want a 2nd sled then I'd say pull the trigger. If you plan on selling or trading in your 09 you are probably take btween a 2500 to 3000 hit. For that amount of difference I'd say put a little money in your sled. An SLP single pipe kit and are box mod gets you to close the same HP as the new motor without worry of whether this new motor will hold together. There are people on here that say even a single piped and air modded 09 8 will not keep pace with a 2010 M8 and that may be true, but how much are we talking here. Maybe a sled legnth on a drag race and 10ft futher up on the hill. The 09 and 2010 chassis are the same, weight within a pound or two. I wressled with this same decision and decided to keep my 09 and put a little money into it.

I can get into the '10 for less than 2500(or should I say less than 2000?:D) hence the reason for the attractive deal I was offered for the '10. Why pay the money for the goodies when it'll cost me less than that to upgrade to new ride......Im looking for box for box pros and cons before anything else. I am not worried about 1st year issues on new ho engine(thats why it comes with warranty) I plan on doing pump gas turbo---would a turbo on the current 800 kickass or would the turbo on the new 800ho kickass even more?

B
Jan 16, 2008
I can get into the '10 for less than 2500(or should I say less than 2000?:D) hence the reason for the attractive deal I was offered for the '10. Why pay the money for the goodies when it'll cost me less than that to upgrade to new ride......Im looking for box for box pros and cons before anything else. I am not worried about 1st year issues on new ho engine(thats why it comes with warranty) I plan on doing pump gas turbo---would a turbo on the current 800 kickass or would the turbo on the new 800ho kickass even more?

I think u just answered your own question!! :beer;:beer; Go for the '10!! :D

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

There are a couple little changes that have not been mentioned.

The '09 will be more reliable on boost. The '10 will have some bugs to be worked out till its as easy to run boost on as the '09. Stay with your '09!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
no warrenty with boost but for only 2000 dif id do it.thats unheard of around here.and if it dont run youll have a newer model.:)

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY

A turbo on the 09 would be easier. The new 10 engine has a high comp head. So you would have to do a bit of shaving on your cylinders to make a turbo work on the 10. But there go's your waranty with a turbo too.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Who's your dealer if you can get one for less than 2000dif I would like to talk to him. I'll travel if needed. As iluv2fly stated 1500 gets the 09 to compete with the 10, if you can get it for less than 2k I want some of that action.

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
A turbo on the 09 would be easier. The new 10 engine has a high comp head. So you would have to do a bit of shaving on your cylinders to make a turbo work on the 10. But there go's your waranty with a turbo too.

So, is that the cylinder mod that dealer ordered t-m8 boonedocker is offering get??
If the sleds are 2010 m8s with new engines, have they already r&ded the new engine/turbo combo to run reliable? If not, that would make it a first year engine release and a first year engine turbo trial and error offering (uh-oh.
Or is the boondocker dealer order 2010 available tm8 a new 09 sold as 09 fall model model?
Not sure if this was asked and answered in an other thread.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Yes the 2010 800 and turbo have been tested. I have heard the 10 turbo kills the 09 turbo. The 10 has larger injectors so that means more possible boost! I betchya burandt has a 10 turbo too.

S

spooled flatlander

Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo,MN
The 09 will be more turbo friendly and will put more power down. The 10 is going to work but may take some time as cat did not clue any of the turbo guys into the release of the new motor until late in the season. The 10 runs strong, is a little lighter and has valving changes for a better ride. Depends on your goals down the road. Don't consider a turbo, buy a 10,

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Who's your dealer if you can get one for less than 2000dif I would like to talk to him. I'll travel if needed. As iluv2fly stated 1500 gets the 09 to compete with the 10, if you can get it for less than 2k I want some of that action.

yes, you could maybe make a piped 09 run with a 2010( remains to be seen) but what about when pipes and other goodies come out for the 2010, you know every aftermarket shop is working on pipes and cans at least already. how far away is 175 HP!:eek:

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado

Turbo the 09!!

Cooperstown huh, I was born there!

Last edited:
Premium Features