• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch M sled?

F
Dec 15, 2007
I'm wondering if anyone has removed the o-ring from the weight pins and install teflon spacers insted? The o-rings seem to cause a lot of resistance in the movement of the weight. I know the polaris clutch weights move freely it is some what the same style of clutch. Just a thought.

B
Dec 21, 2006
I have heard of a couple guys out here that have done it. I would do it in a heartbeat if I knew where to find them.

Last edited:
S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
Just use locktite and only tighten them to where the clutch arm starts to get tight and then loosen them off a little. They should swing freely with no resistance.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just use locktite and only tighten them to where the clutch arm starts to get tight and then loosen them off a little. They should swing freely with no resistance.

this is what i did and have had no issues for three years. i just tightened them to where they started to hang up then backed them off just enough to let them swing freely.

F
Dec 15, 2007
I could just remove the o-rings and tighten up the nut but there would be about 3/16 or so movement back and forth. The nut would stop on the pin step but being that the weight is set screwed to the pin it would ride all over the roller. Not to sure if it would throw the clutch out of balance. I thought the polaris had a bit wider weight so it's closer to the spider not being able to move as much.

M
Nov 27, 2007
You can remove the o rings but you must not have any side movement on the weight bolt A/C tried this in the 90s and it didnt work. The little resistance that they have in not going to affect performance. By taking the orings out you will be rolling the dice as the washers wear the bolt may develop side movement and this will cause premature clutch failure. I dont see an advantage to removing the orings and personally think they are a good idea and help the clutches last way longer.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
o ring advantage

If you calculate the forces involved in a 75 gram flyweight at 5-7500 rpm you will see that any resistance created by that o ring is the other side of insignificant, so any shfiting issues you have will not be improved by removing the o ring.

Letting the flyweight bolts have any side to side movement will put you right back to 1992 with a fast disappearing comet clutch ready for 200 mile rebuilds.

M
Nov 27, 2007
If you calculate the forces involved in a 75 gram flyweight at 5-7500 rpm you will see that any resistance created by that o ring is the other side of insignificant, so any shfiting issues you have will not be improved by removing the o ring.

Letting the flyweight bolts have any side to side movement will put you right back to 1992 with a fast disappearing comet clutch ready for 200 mile rebuilds.

Sounds like you and i have been down the same road. Well thats a lesson i wont forget.

Premium Features