• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Bog Issues - 2004 1M Mod KK - Troubleshooting

W
Nov 14, 2008
colorado
I know, lots of threads on this topic, but can't seem to troubleshoot this problem. Have a 2004 1M King Cat with D&D 1010cc big bore, D&D twin pipes, carbed, with ATACC kit installed.

Some days the sled runs really well in powder (very little to no bog) and others it falls flat on it's face. Very tempermental. Used to have K&N pod filters on it, but took them off because they just suck in moist hot air. Put stock airbox back on. It's missing the airbox plenum (air duct).

Have Outerwears on both intakes next to knees. Have SLP tach delete screen to bring in more air. Can't seem to figure out the bog issue. Have ridden 1M machines for years and have never had a bog this bad.

Conditions where the bog is bad: 5-15 degrees, super fine dry powder, and moist airmass (storm riding). T

houghts on what is causing the bog? I've vented the sled and put on screens just about everywhere to keep snow out. I don't think it's the usual right side bog, as it will bog before the exhaust gets plugged. After cleaning snow off hood, intakes, etc. it will bog for a good 30seconds to a minute before clearing out and running normal again.

Could it be the missing plenum, which in turn would mess with the intake? Ordered a replacement and plan on installing that soon. Possible the pipes are cooling down too much? They are not insulated or coated. Other ideas?

Many thanks.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
I'm certainly no sled expert... but you say missing plenum and dry, fine powder.
along with the extended time of the bog before clearing and having nothing to do with burying the exhaust outlet...

makes me wonder if you're sucking some of that fine powder into the intake?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
This issues was always worse on the carb 900s then on the efi 900s. Theres a number of things that will help. Get clean air in the intake, make sure you have a good deflector on the exhaust so the powder cant plug it. I always built a deflector that would hang down below the exhaust at least 1.5 inches. On the stock intake, on the exhaust side of the sled, it has a HUGE hole in the right place to suck hot exhaust. It is almost straight through from the air intake above your boot, under the hood. tape that thing closed. Get some ultra black silicon and make sure all of your exhaust joints are sealed up really good, so you aren't loosing exhaust under the hood. Jetting is also key, if you are on the rich side the bog seams to be much worse.

Premium Features