• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poll: Oil res leak and fuel vent leak

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
I am wondering who else has had the oil reservoir opening warp and start leaking oil and who else has fuel dumping out of the fuel vent, located just above the shock, when you park at a slight down hill angle.

These are not normal issues that one should have with a new/newer sled. I know there is the aluminum ring to install on the oil reservoir to fix that issue but I think BRP should be installing that if it's as much of an issue as I have read about (without any damage from your knee).

I have been told there is a valve that possibly could be bad on the fuel vent but I'm guessing a better fix may be to run the vent line up through the bars and back like it used to be

So if you have 2013 (I have 2014 XM) and newer and have had these issues chime in please with dealer experience and/or your fix. I know not expensive fixes but it was a $13000 sled..........

Thanks

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
the aluminum ring is only for people who torque the heck outa the cap..just slightly snug it up

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The gas leak is normal, all of the demos are doing it, I have had 6 Summits/Freerides since 2013 that have done it.
It can also do it on the garage floor if the tank is full and temps change. The vent comes out of the tank in the same place, regardless of where the end comes out, pressure in the tank will shoot it out.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
The gas leak is normal, all of the demos are doing it, I have had 6 Summits/Freerides since 2013 that have done it.
It can also do it on the garage floor if the tank is full and temps change. The vent comes out of the tank in the same place, regardless of where the end comes out, pressure in the tank will shoot it out.

Piss poor design obviously. So you don't think running a longer line above the cap will help? I just think Ski Doo should fix that, we should not settle for that being normal. I've been told not to park facing down hill, that's crap.:der:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Honestly, I just don't see the issue. If the sled is stuck downhill, or upside down, it will leak some gas. Every sled will leak gas in most of those situations. Re-run your line if you want, you will have gas running down your steering post. When a tank is full and the tank vent location is under the fuel level, it will leak. I guess some guys care, I just don't. There have been threads about it, do a search. Been going on since 2013.
Best thing to do is not fill the tank so full. I am more (by far) upset that I have to burp the tank when filling up, to get that last gallon in. I think THAT is a stupid design. If I get that upset about it (I won't), then I will simply buy another brand.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Leaking oil res is self inflicted, just snug the cap up like others have said. Leaking fuel vent, have never noticed it.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I think the plastic is thinner on XM neck than my Rev's I have owned 3 different Revs (04 05 06) and some times it was hard as hell to get the cap off, but never warped. I installed the ring on my XM last week because it was warped. Im pretty sure someone keeps overtighting my caps when I'm not looking. :noidea:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I haven't heard much or experienced much in the way of leaking oil caps since my first XP in '08... and that was 6 or so sleds ago. The early XP's had issues, possibly self inflicted.

Like others here have said, don't over tighten the cap and you should be good.

Also, I'm not sure why a lot of guys feel the need to fill the oil tank right to the top. I fill mine to the halfway mark and still probably have enough oil for 3 days thanks to the ridiculously low oil consumption of the Etec engine (after break in of course). I am not sure why guys choose to carry around an extra 2 liters of oil, especially considering the increased chance of leaking and even the weight (it all adds up!)

As for the fuel vent, one of the guys we were riding with last year was complaining about his leaking. I pointed out that he was stuck facing downhill. We dont ride with him any more. :)

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Run the same size hose up through the inside of the riser over the bar , 1 complete loop and back down to factory exit behind l/side shock. Downhill or upside down and no more fuel leak. My 08=11 leaked fuel till I did this. I havent had it happen on my 15 yet.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
Sulley when you pm'd me prior to this thread I told you to bring it in and we'll check it out under Warranty if it is in warranty??being it is a 14 means it probably is.... Which means BRP is buying. I'd love to take a look and see if you have any problems. we warrantied lots of oil tanks in 2008.
and you may have a bad check valve.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Just wanted to see how many other had same issues and if they had shops fix or fix on there own. These are not life altering issues i know and not bashing. I'll get it in, sure as hell ain't any riding to be done around here.

Premium Features