• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plug wire worn through causing problems

F
Jan 19, 2020
So I have a 2010 ac m8 with a boondocker pump gas turbo. Haven’t had it long but today I noticed that the egt’s were not working as well as the gauges, so I opened the hood as the sled was idling and noticed that the plug wire next to the steering post has rubbed through and was sparking against the post. I taped it up with some electrical tape but it didn’t help my problem. Gauges still not working. Headlights work fine. The egt’s show nothing at idle but when I rev the engine it will start flashing red faster and faster as rpms rise. Took the sled for a quick spin and it’s like it’s in limp mode and won’t go above a certain rpm. Ran fine last time I had it out a week ago so I’m stumped as to what could have happened between then and now. Could the shorted plug wire have taken out a module or something? Is there a fuse somewhere that could have blown? Loose ground? I’m seventeen and looking for any help out there. Don’t want to take it to a shop! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Jan 19, 2020
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I believe my problem to be a fuse. I’ve researched and the symptoms match nearly perfect, however I can’t find the fuse locations. I’ve looked and looked and from what I’ve read they should be near the ecu but I just can’t find it on either of my m8’s. Please help!

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Did you replace the plug wire, or just tape it? Possibly it wore through the wire and not just the insulation. Easy thing to replace. I’m not sure where the fuses are for your sled or I’d let you know. Good luck.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I just taped it. It looked like it just barely wore through the insulation so I don’t think it damaged the wire. I should probably replace the wire, but I don’t think that’s the current problem. Possibly the original cause of my problem though

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
The spark plug wires can actually be replaced easily. They just screw into the sprakplug boot/ coil. With your electrical problems best to use a multimeter to check what kind of voltage the sled is putting out and go from there.

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
This is from the cat owners manual. It refers to a specific "maxiclip" service plug but i am sure you can accomplish the same thing by pulling back the connector far enough to make contact with the connector plugs terminals but not so far where it is disconnected.

Voltage Regulator Test (CFR/Crossfire/M-Series 800/1000 cc)

This test should be made at the three-pin connector of the regulator/rectifier.

1. For the DC voltage test, connect the red maxiclip and meter lead to the red/blue wire in the connector; then connect the black maxiclip and meter lead to the black wire in the connector

2. Start the engine and allow it to idle. Meter reading must be within specification.

3. For the AC voltage test, connect the red maxiclip and meter lead to the yellow wire in the connector; then connect the black maxiclip and meter lead to the black wire in the connector.

4. Start the engine and allow it to idle. Meter reading must be within 12-15 DC volts.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I have two m8’s, an 10 and an 11 so I just swapped a couple parts to see if it would solve my problem. I swapped the regulator- no difference, and the spark plug boot that had the hole and still no difference. May be a dumb question but are the regulator and the rectifier the same thing/unit?

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Yes, same thing. If your plug boot is worn against the steering post your mag side motor mount is toast. There are no fuses, your not flashing any codes? Also look behind the coolant bottle & make sure the main ground isn't broke off.

F
Jan 19, 2020
Yes, same thing. If your plug boot is worn against the steering post your mag side motor mount is toast. There are no fuses, your not flashing any codes? Also look behind the coolant bottle & make sure the main ground isn't broke off.

Good to know. No codes, however with the gauge not working (I’m assuming that’s where codes would show) I wouldn’t see any. I’ve heard about that ground before but for some reason I’ve never been able to find it. Is it tucked away behind something that I’d need to remove to see the ground?

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Tucked in behind the support hoop and the frame for the tank/steering post on the right side.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I ended up giving up and just taking it to a mechanic. I’ll check back and let everyone know what he finds

Premium Features