• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PCIII - SLP map - Stock 800 CFI

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ok, both my brother and I had our '09 D8 puke the top end at the same time (within a week of each other). Tri-City kicked azz to get us back on the snow and we rode this past weekend.

In the meantime I had purchased a PCIII from SLP with their single pipe map in it. After talking to some people I decided to run it on the stock motor with the stock pipe to see what happened.

The 2 sleds are set up identical. We rode in 50 degree weather at 9800 feet on Saturday.

1 - The PCIII sled pulled 200 rpm more than it did before putting the PCIII on it.
2 - The PCIII sled had better throttle response out of the hole and pulled harder through the midrange. They felt the same on the top end.
3 - Before putting the PCIII on I had noticed a midrange gurgle. With the PCIII this gurgle was gone.

We didn't compare fuel mileage, but it was pretty clear that the PCIII with SLP map helped the 800 out some. I would imagine you could get a map that was designed expressly for the stock setup and get good improvement out of it, but even using the SLP single map helped.

sled_guy

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Ok, both my brother and I had our '09 D8 puke the top end at the same time (within a week of each other). Tri-City kicked azz to get us back on the snow and we rode this past weekend.

In the meantime I had purchased a PCIII from SLP with their single pipe map in it. After talking to some people I decided to run it on the stock motor with the stock pipe to see what happened.

The 2 sleds are set up identical. We rode in 50 degree weather at 9800 feet on Saturday.

1 - The PCIII sled pulled 200 rpm more than it did before putting the PCIII on it.
2 - The PCIII sled had better throttle response out of the hole and pulled harder through the midrange. They felt the same on the top end.
3 - Before putting the PCIII on I had noticed a midrange gurgle. With the PCIII this gurgle was gone.

We didn't compare fuel mileage, but it was pretty clear that the PCIII with SLP map helped the 800 out some. I would imagine you could get a map that was designed expressly for the stock setup and get good improvement out of it, but even using the SLP single map helped.

sled_guy

I have a PC III on my 2007 DRAGON 700. Used to get that dreaded mid-range gurgle as well. I RICHENED up the mid-range by 5-7% and it solved it. 5-10% LEANER ON TOP. I purchased my PC III with mapping included for $365.00 from Jim @ dynotech. Some of the mapping that I've seen is over 10% LEANER on the 800's.

You may want to check with Jim @ DYNOTECH (www.dynotechresearch.com)
He has a LOT of dyno time on stock and modded 800's, $ 25.00 for an annual subscription for a boat load of great factual info. Jim has been dialing in the PC III's and providing mapping for the 800's for longer than SLP. He has multiple maps available for a variety of combinations, real helpful/knowledgeable guy. Call him on his cell, (585) 993-2777

Jim just did some dyno testing a couple of months ago and the SLP pipe combo made the most power of the pipes he tested. On an interesting note, SeanRay modified stock heads with LOWER compression, tighter squish and a "TOP HAT " SHAPED DOME MADE MORE POWER, even in the mid-range along with extra detonation protection. (e-mail him@seanmray@yahoo.com) $100.00 mod to your stock head.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
i suppose polaris's fix won't work as good??:(

still haven't heard anything in that regard

Since ORBITAL (the Australian company that does the fuel mapping for Mercury Marine) has taken over the fuel mapping for ALL Polaris cfi's, that issue may be resolved, in part. I would still think that they'll leave the mapping a bit rich on top, for extra insurance and that's where you'll still benefit from the PCIII.

The piston longevity issue on the 800 still remains unresolved???

Now that DYNOJET's releasing the PC-5 with AUTOTUNE that automatically adjusts the fuel while you're driving down the trail (to maintain a pre-set air/fuel mixture, say 13.2:1 via info from the BOSCH 0-2 sensor) so these PC III might be selling cheaply, soon as everbody upgrades to the PC-5 with AUTOTUNE.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Go read about the PC5s... they are using on oxygen sensor and Dynojet is optomistic in my opinion as to the life of those O2 sensors in 2 stroke applications.

I like the PC5 idea, but O2 sensors aren't cheap and replacing one every few hundred miles will add up.

The PCIII seemed pretty inexpensive to me already... especially with the ability it has to let you edit your own maps and stuff.

sled_guy

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Go read about the PC5s... they are using on oxygen sensor and Dynojet is optomistic in my opinion as to the life of those O2 sensors in 2 stroke applications.

I like the PC5 idea, but O2 sensors aren't cheap and replacing one every few hundred miles will add up.
The PCIII seemed pretty inexpensive to me already... especially with the ability it has to let you edit your own maps and stuff.

sled_guy

On the bold,

BOSCH 0-2 sensors are approx $70.00 come with a 1 year warranty purchased @ local auto parts stores.

When installed properly and run with no-lead fuel, 0-2 are lasting a full season, maybe more, at half price the cost of a belt every season and easier to change, it's a routine maintenance item.

To get the most out of our PC III we should be running air/fuel meter kits, and now we're back to incorporating the 0-2 sensors anyway.

I was going to install an INNOVATE XD-16 onto my sled for next season, now I think I'm going to sell my PC III and go with the PC-5/AUTOTUNE package.

There are a couple of other companies other than DYNOJET coming out with similar set-ups (PC-5/AUTOTUNE) this year. Seems to be the way to go.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Sled-Guy, glad to hear that the PC111 worked well on your new stock engine. I bought a used PC111 off of the forum but did not get the chance to try it out yet, as our season is over here. After Polaris comes out with their fix I wonder if the PC111 will still be worthwhile? One nice thing about the PC111 is that you don't have to cut into the wiring harness to install it.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It isn't leaded fuel on a 2stroke I worry about with o2 sensors, its the 2stroke oil. And if the local auto parts store guys know what they are doing they are going to deny the warranty when they see the sensor with the 2stroke oil build up on it.

That said, if one will last for a season I agree it would be the cat's meow. Trying to close the loop on the injection with an o2 sensor can only help the system I would think. And Polaris seems to be running these motors dang lean on oil so maybe the buildup will be manageable.

I just couldn't wait any longer, wanted to try the PCIII because I had heard it was working well.

I'm thinking the ticket for a good sled cheaper than new is an '08/'09 D8 with SLP single and a PCIII. Especially if/when Polaris figures out the scuffing issue although maybe putting an SLP pipe and PCIII on it will fix the scuffing. ;)

sled_guy

G
Dec 2, 2008
Quebec, Ca
It isn't leaded fuel on a 2stroke I worry about with o2 sensors, its the 2stroke oil. And if the local auto parts store guys know what they are doing they are going to deny the warranty when they see the sensor with the 2stroke oil build up on it.

That said, if one will last for a season I agree it would be the cat's meow. Trying to close the loop on the injection with an o2 sensor can only help the system I would think. And Polaris seems to be running these motors dang lean on oil so maybe the buildup will be manageable.

I just couldn't wait any longer, wanted to try the PCIII because I had heard it was working well.

I'm thinking the ticket for a good sled cheaper than new is an '08/'09 D8 with SLP single and a PCIII. Especially if/when Polaris figures out the scuffing issue although maybe putting an SLP pipe and PCIII on it will fix the scuffing. ;)

sled_guy

I have a Innovate LC-1 wideband on my Assault
I made 1500 miles without engine blowing
and my Wideband still working strong
the oil don't stay on the sensor since the sensor is heated

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST

sled_guy

Wishful thinking on the PC III fixing BOTH problems. The piston issue still remains unresolved.

Post above, unsolicited testimonial on BOSCH sensor longevity, what more can I say??:cool:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have a Innovate LC-1 wideband on my Assault
I made 1500 miles without engine blowing
and my Wideband still working strong
the oil don't stay on the sensor since the sensor is heated

typical life on an 02 sensor in a car is 100,000 to 150,000 miles...I see cars come in with in excess of 200,000 miles on them, motor burning a qt of oil in a tank of gas..blue smoke when ya start it....very rare to have an o2 sensor go bad from oil..even on a bad oil burning motor(oil fouling sparkplugs every couple months)..I doubt you will see that kind of milage in a 2 stroke but I bet with normal 40-1 oil injection the heated sensors will go 10,000 miles...

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
From my extensive and expensive testing all winter long, I found 3 reasons for piston scuffing. The single ring pistons may not deliver the best compression or stop blow by but they alone are not the issue here. I highly recommend getting a wideband to be able to monitor your motor, instead of guessing where and when it goes lean. I'll gladly buy a new sensor every season if it prevents another scuffing.

1- stock mapping, the fix is a PCIII or BD box
2- faulty voltage reg. taking out the ECU
3- fuel filter restricting flow when under heavy load at full throttle when @ 1/2 tank or less

Premium Features