• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Over the Engine Steering 07 to 09 RMK IQ

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Anybody know where to get one, how to do it. I know there are a couple guys on the Hillclimb circuit doing it. Help!?

I have never heard about that but I would be interested as well.I was thinking about making some lightweight steering posts with as many improments as possible. I have a bunch of slop in my steering linkages I need to deal with at the very least so I would like to fix or improve as much as possible while I have the engine out!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Kirk Williamsons OVS turbo sled had this setup on it...

The post runs thru the airbox area behind the headlight and out the gauge pod area...

You would have to get really "creative" for the airbox on a N.A. sled.

moves the steering fwd about 6".

Involves cutting a "window" above the steering belcranks and installing an IQR style linkage.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
DSCF2804.jpg

DSCF2800.jpg

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
i had a 2004 pro-xr which was an over the motor steering version of the edge chassis.

By far, the best Edge chassis ever. The sled was incredibly balanced.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I asked a couple chasis builders about doing this and its advantages/disadvantages. They warned me it completely changes the handling of the sled. In their opinion it became almost completely a hillclimb sled, and became ackward in boondocking situations. That was their opinion.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
With the amount that it moves the steering... IMO... it would give it more of an IQR-mountain-mod handling and as OA said... it would be for hill climbing... that is what Kirk/Donny built his sled for...

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Changing to a over the engine steering in itself should not change anything except where your steering column/rods go.

When you change the height of your bars, the angle of the last column (where your bars mount) and how far forward the bars are, then you change handling, right? The rest is just routing, yes/no?

I'm thinking about the same thing to clear space for engine and airbox.
Curt/FTX has me inspired.

Tube chassi-steering.jpg

Premium Features