• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on a new Cat

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Here's my story....

Jan 15th I went out with sixten guys to our annual IP ride. Bad avy danger and we are normally geared towards that activity. I have a 200 HP King Cat with a 2.5'' x 162'' Chalanger Extreme. I left it home, figuring, I'll play it safe and do more boondocking if I just ride my wife's new M-8, Sno-Pro 153''. Most of the sleds out of sixteen are 800 Doos, a couple are XRS's and XP's. After the first day it was clear. The M-8 just blew them all away in climbing. The better the snow the bigger the advantage to the M. Two Doos blew up and went to shop for pistons and cylinders another busted his recoil. One of those guys came back with a new '08 M-8. The other will get one as soon as he sells his Doo. One guy rented a M-8. My Cat had a hundred miles on it, as a joke I said '' wait till the break-in chip burns out'' I could not have been happier. You'll like the M.

Owen

B
Nov 26, 2007
what is the power like on them? i've rode a few 08 and 09 Skidoo 800R summits, what would the power be like compared to those? and is it better to get the LE spring check or the regular snopro

its an 800, all the doo, cat, polaris 800's are pretty similar in power... i think, and someone will correct me if i'm wrong, the LE's during spring check were the same as the snopro's except for color since the spring snopros had an optional boss seat... they are the same sleds otherwise...

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Volcomboarder, where are you from? If your in the Montana or WY area let me know, I could probably hook you with a ride on an 09 M8 153 for the day. We went out last weekend, me on my 07 M8 162 and my girlfriend on an 09 M8 153 demo. We also had an 05 M7 162, another 07 M8 162, an 09 M1000 162 demo, the 09 M8 was awesome and the sled to be on all day. I loved the 153 and the power of the 09 M8 was better in stock form than my 07. The new track was really nice, my next sled will be a 153 w/ a power claw. I think that you will find the power to be very close to the dragons and doo's, they're all good sleds but the proven reliability of the M series is very attractive. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the 09 1000 as I thought I would be, I was actually leaning toward picking one up but now I think the 800 is the way to go. There are some good deals out there right now on sleds due to the 2010 model rolling out in a couple weeks. I don't know anything official but word is the 2010 is still the M chassis but lighter with more power, so if power is your concern, you might want to wait and see what cat comes out with. With the state of the economy there might be pretty good spring check deals. Oh, and the LE and Snopro are the same thing, the LE is the spring check model.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Jan 15th I went out with sixten guys to our annual IP ride. Bad avy danger and we are normally geared towards that activity. I have a 200 HP King Cat with a 2.5'' x 162'' Chalanger Extreme. I left it home, figuring, I'll play it safe and do more boondocking if I just ride my wife's new M-8, Sno-Pro 153''. Most of the sleds out of sixteen are 800 Doos, a couple are XRS's and XP's. After the first day it was clear. The M-8 just blew them all away in climbing. The better the snow the bigger the advantage to the M. Two Doos blew up and went to shop for pistons and cylinders another busted his recoil. One of those guys came back with a new '08 M-8. The other will get one as soon as he sells his Doo. One guy rented a M-8. My Cat had a hundred miles on it, as a joke I said '' wait till the break-in chip burns out'' I could not have been happier. You'll like the M.

Owen

Now that is the kind of story that sells sleds!! I likey. I was out riding with a bunchof doos and was on my m1000 with fueling issues, I couldnt get over 6000rpm and was still getting the same marks as them o the hill. LOL yup buy a CAT...................

Volcomboarder, where are you from? If your in the Montana or WY area let me know, I could probably hook you with a ride on an 09 M8 153 for the day. We went out last weekend, me on my 07 M8 162 and my girlfriend on an 09 M8 153 demo. We also had an 05 M7 162, another 07 M8 162, an 09 M1000 162 demo, the 09 M8 was awesome and the sled to be on all day. I loved the 153 and the power of the 09 M8 was better in stock form than my 07. The new track was really nice, my next sled will be a 153 w/ a power claw. I think that you will find the power to be very close to the dragons and doo's, they're all good sleds but the proven reliability of the M series is very attractive. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the 09 1000 as I thought I would be, I was actually leaning toward picking one up but now I think the 800 is the way to go. There are some good deals out there right now on sleds due to the 2010 model rolling out in a couple weeks. I don't know anything official but word is the 2010 is still the M chassis but lighter with more power, so if power is your concern, you might want to wait and see what cat comes out with. With the state of the economy there might be pretty good spring check deals. Oh, and the LE and Snopro are the same thing, the LE is the spring check model.

I wish i was from Montana, but im actually from Saskatchewa. Must be nice riding out there compared to what we have. Thank you for all the info. Im really leaning towards the M8. Im just trying to figure out what a ball park price is going to be now since im just finishing grade 12 and going to be working next year gotta try and get approved for financing.

Premium Features