• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

On the fence, found one Flatlander

Z
Jun 13, 2008
Hello,

Been on the fence for a bit of time and found one within 3 hrs of me in my price range that I am ready to pull the trigger on. Flatlander in Minnesota. Talked with the owner a bit and he had a mixed opinion of the thing. Kinda has me worried. Guy says he rode it for 10 minutes and was wore out. Sounds like he was a bit intimidated by it and put it up for sale. Im 45 and relatively good shape but been a smoker forever. This probably wont change anytime soon. Just wondering if I am going to have the same opinion. Reading here it might be it wasnt set up for flatland riding. IE the wrong ski, lack of trail adaptor, no studs...I dont know what these things look like and he apparently didnt either

Anyways, the Hawk looks like a blast. Bummer is I dont live in the mountains but do live right in the middle of a trail system (it runs accross my land) that now has a good 8-10" of snow and well groomed trails. Some boondocking thru the fields would occur but thinking I would run the groomed trails the most as riding byourself gets a little boring after awhile.

My expectation is that is a little tricky in the beginning but assuming a couple hrs by myself out in the field would give me the jest of it and just get better from there. Thinking if I survived putting 50 miles on it.. I should be comfortable enough to ride with a group not holding anyone back. Eh?

Been a bike guy forever. Mostly street bikes but rode an IT200 and a 406 ATk for a few years a couple weekends a year. No hardcore motocross experience but not afraid to ride anything either.

Just looking for opinions. 04 600. Its a 5k investment that my wife approves of (vs spending 8k on a Rush) but would be dissapointed if it was something I just couldnt get the hang of or couldnt eventually ride at least 50 miles in a day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...0602911129?pt=Snowmobiles&hash=item2a0cc5b999

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Thats happens to everybody, your first 10 min on a hawk and you'll have forearm pump so bad you don't know how you could possibly ride one all day. But with time you learn not to fight the steering and the pump goes away. As far as riding trails most of the day, maybe some of the east coast guys will chime in, we dont have many groomed trails in Alaska.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
It will be tough at first. It's like nothing you have ever tried before. Try to keep your speed up and keep as loose as possible. Hard to ride slow. If you are trail riding, make sure it has the setback ski adapter, snow trackers on the ski with the twin axis, some handlebar risers that move the bars up and forward with also help a lot. I mostly trail ride. Where are you from? We can give you more info on the other forum. Hint - bcr

Z
Jun 13, 2008
Thanks Guys. Scoot is in the middle of Wisconsin. I live near Taylors Falls.

Can anybody tell if this rig has the trail adaptor installed?

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
eerrr dont let peoples opinion influence you ,I was kind of up in the air and leary of spending the money ,it took me about ten minutes and I was dragging the bars in the snow making turns,and absolutly loved it right away..could spend all day on it immediatly without a problem..

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Go get it! I've got two hawks myself. Best toys I've ever purchased. I had more of a learning curve because I started out on the original huge ski. With it set up to the most current updates it is so easy to ride. My friends that tried my hawks got the hang of it really quickly. :face-icon-small-coo

N
Nov 27, 2007
Medford, MN
2005 600 for sale

I have a 05 for sale and you can even take it for a test ride as long as you like, I'll be right beside you.
I only live a couple hours south of you
mine is $5k but does have the snowtrackers which is over $200
I'm not on here much so e-mail me if you want to go for a ride.
it will only cost you some gas
sjr55049 at msn dot com

Premium Features