• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil tank M8 melting

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I noticed that mine looked like it was melting just under the cap:( What's up with that:confused: Everything is stock (maybe that is the prob?);)

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
I just had mine replaced. The dealer said since the warranty expired so it couldn't be used. It happened last year and I called a different dealer then, one in SmokeyPoint, WA and they just played stupid like they never heard of the problem. The 07 model didn't have the heat sheild and burned wiring as well as the tank. Mine is a 08. I wish I would of found my new dealer back then because they have great knowledgeable service. Get it down under warranty ASAP don't be like me. Another thing install plenty of venting and heat tape the M's need it.

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
when i first got my 07 M8 the first time we hit 3 feet of fresh, stopped and lifted the hood and the oil reserve was melting leaning over towards the motor and the oil inside was actually boiling!!!! they need LOTS of venting and heat tape if you want to ride the deep...

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Mine had the same thing - 250 miles, oil cap and sending unit melted, throttle cable melted. Was riding in 3' of fresh, full throttle for minutes at a time.

My dealer Extreme Powersports in Steamboat did a great job fixing it under warantee. They replaced the oil tank cap and heat taped it, they replaced the throttle cable and put the same heat reflective shielding that is on the power valve cables, replaced the oil sending unit, then heat taped it, and finally they made a custom aluminum heat sheild to protect the oil tank and sending unit from the heat. So far so good.

Btw, these items melted even with side vents installed.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i HAVE AN 07 M1000 and I put the 08 heatsheild on it it covers the bottle and the injectors I used it on my M7 and then put it on my 1000 it works great

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Mine seams to melt just under the lid. I am going on my third one:(. It would be nice if Cat would stand up and at least give us new bottles untill they find a fix that works.

Jason

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Is this update for the 09 models or is it for older models? What updates is cat offering to fix the problem?

I went to the dealer today about mine (09). He said that there was an update but it was for the 07 and 08's to make them like the 09s. He said come in in the spring and he would take pics and send them to cat and see about warrenty if nothing was recalled by then.

C
Nov 17, 2008
melted oil jug

I have a 08 m8 jug cap and sender all replaced under warranty. I also made a heat shield and rivited to other shield problem solved. The new shield just protects the cap and sensor. The heavy powder and long pulls was the cause.

Premium Features