• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no spark 2000 RMK

B
Nov 9, 2008
I have a 2000 RMK 700. While riding, all my gauges quit, thne a couple of minutes later my engine stopped. No spark. No obvious signs of worn wiring or switches. Any ideas? Does anyone have the testing procedure for stator, coils or magneto? What wiring can I disconnect to eliminate switch etc issues? Thanks.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
no spark

Normally when the lights go out it's a sign of a bad voltage regulator. When they go south you get to much juice and it blows the light bulbs. Normally you will still have spark. I lost the reg on my 02 and found the the stator was the cause. You may have the same issue. Stator took out the reg and then finally died itself. There is a test proceedure in the service manual. The test is performed with an ohm meter and you check reisitance values between the wires comming out of the stator. High numbers indicate a shorted circuit.
When I took mine apart I found a cold solder joint on one of the posts where a wire attaches. I was able to resolder it and fix it. Other wise if yours has a short in the windings, you will need to replace it.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
To eliminate a problem outside of the CDI and Stator simply unhook the single black wire located by the large rectangle connector by the recoil. This will eliminate any of the possible problems that may be in the wiring harness. If it is the stator it will most likely be the ground on the stator since the lighting and ignition coils are separate unless there was a catastophic failure and it got hot enough to fry everything.

Premium Features