• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Traeger Timberline Pellet Smoker

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For years I have been debating whether or not to make the big investment and buy a really serious smoker.

This summer i finally convinced myself to pull the trigger and I bot a top of the line unit!

http://www.traegergrills.com/timberline.html

timberline-850.png

6371_ig_1478484955452866946_2863774158.jpg

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fhbXZ-Gc40A" allowfullscreen="" width="853" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After going through the 500degree seasoning process the first thing we tried out was some Cedar Plank Smoked Salmon for dinner last night!

OUTSTANDING

cc7ea223d41b2fd917b8e8042b9a7a48.jpg

786f96d2c0d6a20d46475129cb024e63.jpg

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Congrats on the grill.

The website you need to join now is www.pelletheads.com and if you haven't heard of this site it is the bible of bbq'ing meats (not just ribs). www.amazingribs.com

I have an older Traeger that required lots of mods to make it work decent and I wouldn't have recommended a Traeger uniil they fixed these issues. Issues with the old Traegers: Controller did not maintain steady temps on a long smoke-replaced controller with a Savannah stoker PID controller; poorly insulated not double walled construction-added welding blanket to it; not enough smoke flavor-added a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator.

Looks like the Timberline you bought has double walled insulation, a better controller and hopefully it is a PID controller which is a must especially here Colorado where outside temps can vary by 40 deg F during a 12 hour smoke, and the 5 deg temp temp swings may give the additional smoke needed from a pellet grill.

Some upgrades I hear are coming out soon for your new grill:

(a) Boondocker replacement Auger
(b) OFT Racing shut off tether in case the beer you're drinking causes you to stumble and fall
(c) SLP tuned pipe for exhaust stack
(d) TKI Gear Down belt kit for the pellet auger
(e) RSI Low profile grill handle
(f) Burandt Fox shocks for all four wheels
(g) Skinz 36" wide narrowing kit for wheels
(h) 3" track conversion kit-eliminates wheels
(I) BMP High compression firepot
(J) Ice Age Billet Axle and wheels for those keeping wheels
(K) Power commander 5 box for the stock Traeger pellet controller
(L) Helium lightweight grill door

I'm also hearing that you should be able to buy a wrap for the grill very soon.

Good luck with your grill and I think I'm going to smoke a turkey today on mine!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Congrats on the grill.

The website you need to join now is www.pelletheads.com and if you haven't heard of this site it is the bible of bbq'ing meats (not just ribs). www.amazingribs.com

I am a member of AMAZINGRIBS but had never heard of Pelletheads.
Many thanks for the pointer.
Pellet smoking is BRAND NEW TO ME.
I am a lifelong Charcoal griller, and smoking for the most part is a brand new adventure. How much do I BBQ? I have often bought 600lbs of charcoal each Memorial day when it goes on sale.

(b) OFT Racing shut off tether in case the beer you're drinking causes you to stumble and fall
(L) Helium lightweight grill door

Good luck with your grill and I think I'm going to smoke a turkey today on mine!

That is FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Almost forgot to mention. Almost all traeger pellets are made of Alder (West Coast) or Oak (East Coast) wood and then infused with oils from other woods to give them their "flavor". I rarely use Traeger pellets and found that pellets made from the real thing impart better flavor and burn better. Don't fall for that hype regarding warranty if non Traeger pellets are used.

I used to buy my pellets in bulk from: http://smokedaddyinc.com/products/wood-pellets.html but now buy my pellets from a local shop.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Pelletheads is currently for sale, owner passed away recently.
Was a great write up with pictures on the new larger model 1300 on there but most content was removed because of their crazy rules.
Rules below in Red were posted in the topic;
<hr class="hrcolor" width="100%" size="1"> Performance Test don't compare, so if that was all you were doing it would not be an issue. Larry and I made a decision long ago after Performance Testing a unit that was not submitted by the Manufacture that we would never do that again and that we would not allow Members to post anything like it (your photos of the assembled pit, a biscuit test, how fast it takes to get to temperatures...etc,). It is nothing personal, it is just a rule that I see no reason to stop, just because Larry is no longer with us, if someone can point out a flaw in Larry's thinking, I will be glad to listen!

So to make it simple and concise, we are not looking for reviews or "tests" of units that have not been PT...we appreciating that you understand that!

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
The smoke box add on to my Texas has been a great feature, just did a large batch of cheese and gouda for my nieces wedding last weekend.

cheese.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The smoke box add on to my Texas has been a great feature, just did a large batch of cheese and gouda for my nieces wedding last weekend.
A buddy of mine brought over a block of smoked cheese recently.
HOLY COW was that delicious.!

I just got a fresh brisket today, getting ready to marinate it tonight for the 4th..:face-icon-small-hap

Congrats on the grill.

I have an older Traeger that required lots of mods to make it work decent and I wouldn't have recommended a Traeger uniil they fixed these issues. Issues with the old Traegers: Controller did not maintain steady temps on a long smoke-replaced controller with a Savannah stoker PID controller; poorly insulated not double walled construction-added welding blanket to it; not enough smoke flavor-added a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator.

Looks like the Timberline you bought has double walled insulation, a better controller and hopefully it is a PID controller which is a must especially here Colorado where outside temps can vary by 40 deg F during a 12 hour smoke, and the 5 deg temp temp swings may give the additional smoke needed from a pellet grill.

(L) Helium lightweight grill door check

I guess it’s time to climb aboard the pellet grill bandwagon. I looked around, read reviews, have many friends with them, but I still want more opinions. Tell me your story, what brand, troubles you’ve had, flawless function, features you can’t live without etc.....

Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I guess it’s time to climb aboard the pellet grill bandwagon. I looked around, read reviews, have many friends with them, but I still want more opinions. Tell me your story, what brand, troubles you’ve had, flawless function, features you can’t live without etc.....

Thanks

Premium Features