• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with tether

S
Nov 28, 2007
BERTHOUD CO.
I ORDERD A TETHER FOR MY SLED. MY LOCAL SLED DEALER SAID I COULD HOOK IT UP WERE MY KEY INGNITION WAS.. HERE IS THE PROB. MY SLED IS A 2000 700 RMK. I DO NOT HAVE HAND WARMER, KILL SWITCH, THUMB HEAT. JUST A THROTTLE AND BRAKE.. THE TETHER I ORDERD IS A S.P.I (RED TETHER TWO YELLOW WIRES) THE DEALER SAID TO HOOK UP TO BROWN AND BLACK WIRE... SO I DID AND I TURN KEY ON TETHER IS PLUGGED IN AND IT WILL NOT START. UNPLUG THE TETHER IT WILL START AND TO SHUT IT OFF THE KEY DOES NOT WORK. BUT IF I PLUG THE TETHER IN IT KILLS IT.:confused::confused:.. WHAT THE:mad::mad: IS THIS TETHER WRONG OR AM I JUST TO STUPID :eek::eek: NEED SOME HELP HERE BOYS!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!:D CORNFUSED

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
you need a normally open switch and you got a normally closed (or vise versa). You could possibly make it work with other wires but you might have an easier time by changing the switch out. Go to our website and look at our wireless tether owners manual and you will see a drawing of the 2 types of installations. Although they are not specific to your machine, they will help you understand whats going on.

The site is www.sourceinnovations.ca

Chris

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
If it's the bar mount SPI one, take it back and get your money back, it won't be long before there's ice built up in it and it won't work. Also you have the wrong switch for your application. That one has a NO contact in it and when the button is held in (tether connected) it will kill the machine. you need one with a NC contact in it so when the tether is not connected the contacts close and kill the machine.

If you want a good one, buy a Pro Designs tether.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...ain&catId=&productId=p21799&leafCatId=&mmyId=

It won't fail on you and will be the correct switch for your application. It should be connected to the Brown and Black wires as you mentioned and should have no effect on your key switch.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Umm dont get mad but did you have the cap plugged on to the tether

on that 700 over by the left side of the tank towards the top there should be a two wires that go into a single plug or mabey it was two plugs cant rem exactley but that is where you should plug in the tether recepacle

hope this helps

S
Nov 28, 2007
BERTHOUD CO.
Umm dont get mad but did you have the cap plugged on to the tether

on that 700 over by the left side of the tank towards the top there should be a two wires that go into a single plug or mabey it was two plugs cant rem exactley but that is where you should plug in the tether recepacle

hope this helps

are you talking by the key ignition brown and black?

skyman

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2008
How thick is the material you are going through?
If the material is to thick between the black nut and the switch it will cause this. And if there is no ware else to put it you can cheat by putting a small screw on the end of the teather were it contacts the white button on the switch this way you can adjust it to work.:beer;

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
take it back and return it... if you get polaris part number 2870668, it should be a direct plug and play set up. you can either disconnect your ingnition and plug the teather in, or tie the tether inbetween the existing wiring and the iginition to run both your key switch ignition and the tether.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'm not sure how adept you are at reading electrical diagrams but go to http://www.polarisindustries.com/ and look at the owners manual. The electrical schematic will give you an idea how the ignition key and kill button turn the engine off by shorting the ignition (black) wire to ground (brown wire). The tether switch has to short circuit the brown and black wires in the same manner when it is unplugged in order to turn it off. The tether you have puts a short across those wires when it is plugged in which is why it kills it when you plug it in. The brown and black wires are the correct wires but you have the wrong tether for Polaris as mentioned above.

S
Nov 28, 2007
BERTHOUD CO.
tether

take it back and return it... if you get polaris part number 2870668, it should be a direct plug and play set up. you can either disconnect your ingnition and plug the teather in, or tie the tether inbetween the existing wiring and the iginition to run both your key switch ignition and the tether.

are you sure about this part number? and r u sure about PLUG AND PLAY? i found the tether in a new magazine would like to know for sure be for i order it..:cool:

Premium Features