• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help!!!! Clutch Bearing Cover???

C

cowboysedge

Apr 3, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
I had to change out a broken spring on my 07 700 Dragon while I was on the hill. While installing the face back on the clutch I damaged the the bearing cover (what a pain poo has made changing a broken spring out with the clutch still on the motor. No Room!).

Anyway now that I have the old bearing cover removed I am wondering how to install the new one? It is tight as heck and the bearing cover seems pretty delicate.

I am thinking of heating the face plate to 200* F and then trying to slip the bearing cover in cold. Some thing like installing a bearing on a crank shaft. But im not sure. The polaris part # is 3514347 if anyone wants to look it up to see what I am talking about.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
edited.

This tool make it easy to change the primary spring in the sled... holds it and aligns it as it compresses the spring so you can get the screws in .....

BUT... you bring up a good point... half of the cover is shrouded by the plastic so there is not much room to tuck the cover in without compressing the spring to get it there in the first place...

NOTE: always mark the cover so it goes back in the same way and the balance is not thrown off. (shown off the sled for photo)
725461.jpg

http://www.hiperf.com/acatalog/Bunker_Hill_Clutch_Tool.html

Last edited:
C

cowboysedge

Apr 3, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
I might be wrong. But I don't think this part will have any affect on the balance of the clutch. I don't know why it is called a bearing cover, it is actually just a graphite covered bushing. Polaris part. #3514347

3 SKU: 3514347
BEARING,COVER 1 $16.41

DRGNRMK.jpg

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
cover bushing

They are very tight. My brother made a driver out of delrin. Smacks it with a hammer to drive it out then drives the new one back in. Because they are made of garmax, I don't think heating the plate will help that much. I don't think the plate will grow enough whe you heat it to make it any easier to install. His driver is stepped so it protects the inner bore of the bushing while pushing on the outer edge of the bushing. You can "peel" the old one out but installing the new one without hurting it is the tricky part.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
If you ever have to do this again, carry a few strong tie-wraps and loop them inside the spring so that it will not get caught under the cover. Compress the spring as much as you can, if you are using a real heavy spring you can use a short chunk of all thread and 2 larg nuts and 2 large washers. Tighten it down with wrenches and then use the tie-wraps. Leave the belt on the clutch to stop it from closing. With the spring compressed and the clutch held open by the belt simply line up the x on the cover with the x on the spider and you will not have to muscle the cover on and possibly damaging the bushing or damaging the towers or clutch cover. Lastly remember to cut the tie-wraps.Those tools will work on the sled but you have to pull the clutch bolt and thats not that fun to do, nor fun to carry all those tools as well as something to hold the clutch.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
There is a comma in bearing, cover. So it is a cover bearing. Most call it a bushing. I'm pretty sure there is a special driver for installing this without wrecking it.

C

cowboysedge

Apr 3, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
Thanks for the help. A little lathe work and this job is a cinch! I took the bearing, cover (garmax bushing) to my buddy and 20 minutes I had the perfect tool for the install.

I installed the bushing onto the tool and then I heated the face plate of the clutch to around 212*F. I then placed the bushing and tool in place and with three taps of a hammer the job was complete. :D

Thanks again every one for the suggestions and the help.:beer;

Last edited:
Premium Features