• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Max rpm won't budge??

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Been trying to tune new motor. It's an 03 900 motor w/cat primary and TEAM secondary. I am having major problems achieving proper top end rpm. Just does not want to cooperate. I cannot get her to turn higher than 7100 rpm on top end...under load or not.

To determine whether it was primary related I installed a spring that was 60# heavier in finish rate..No change in top end rpm!

What could be holding top end Rpm's so stationary? HELP

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
secondaly

your secondary is just shifting faster than your primary can handle that much load.

secondary has to follow primary or...........you got a bolens ski wiz

so not knowing what you got cooked up in that team thing, make sure you have shallow helix and fair spring tension for starting point. Or put on stock cat secondary with 53 helix and green spring in middle hole and see what you got...............theeeeen put on the team which does not work anything like a cat secondary or adjust the same.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Take off the belt.....crack the throttle. Does it get past your 7100???? If so then your clutching is out of whack..........I did have a ski too that had a similar issue. Came down to the rollers on the track had bad bearings which were really putting a load on the motor. Messed with clutching for a whole season then during a teardown found nearly a dozen bearings that were not smooth.

Check without the belt. Rollers are easy to check and if its not them your clutches are not working with each other. Try those then look at power valves, or your carbs or injectors.

Good luck

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Take off the belt.....crack the throttle. Does it get past your 7100???? If so then your clutching is out of whack..........I did have a ski too that had a similar issue. Came down to the rollers on the track had bad bearings which were really putting a load on the motor. Messed with clutching for a whole season then during a teardown found nearly a dozen bearings that were not smooth.

Check without the belt. Rollers are easy to check and if its not them your clutches are not working with each other. Try those then look at power valves, or your carbs or injectors.

Good luck

Wow... idler wheel bearings slowed you down that much? Crazy.

The no belt test is an easy one to check, I'll do it soon. Thanks

A
Mar 11, 2007
Onoway Alberta
Her's a little FYI. My power valves were siezed shut and the engine would still sing up to 7900. It was just down a little on power. The skis would lift about 6 inches when I hit the throttle at speed. After cleaning the valves and checking cable adjustments, she will lift the skis 18 inches. I always thought that sticking powervalves would limit the max RPM, but they don't.

A
Jan 2, 2013
dont know if you are still working on this but your problem is your primary clutch weights are to heavy, for every thousand rpm your wanting to gain you need to drop 1 gram across all three weight.
you said you where running 7100 and lets say you had 3 78 gram weights, so you would want to be running about 7700 you would need to replace all three weights with 72 gram weights. elevation will change how many grams you run as well, the higher you go the less rpms you will turn.

Premium Features