• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 SLP y pipe install ? please help! Fast!

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I am in the process of installing my slp pipe kit and i cant for the life of me get the two bottom inside hex bolts put in, how do you do it???? The y pipe is really tight with all but those two in, would i be alright without them? It is snowing like crazy right now and i need to get outside and ride, plz help.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
You kinda got to make your own allen wrench cut the bent end off short 3/4" or so, and it may help to cut the other end so it fits between y. Also don't force them they should go in by just wigling start with your fingers you should be able to get them most of the way, be carefull not to strip any of them.

Last edited:

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
thanks ill give it a try. Would be much easier if they would make it so you could actually get to it! But what fun would that be, a trouble free installation.:D

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I did the same allen wrench trick. Worked great. Also, after you get your heat shield "adjusted," (I smacked mine with a hammer) so that it will fit with the y-pipe, remove it. It made it much easier to get at the bottom bolts. I also used the chopped off end of the allen wrench in a 6mm socket, with a U-joint. Worked a lot faster than the modified allen wrench.

C

chip13

Nov 23, 2008
Minneapolis
SLP pipe kit install

I had the same issue installing my the SLP Y-pipe on my M8. I used the stock studs and but changed the nuts to clear the pipe. Was able to get a them torqued better than jockeying up a special allen wrench and then risk stripping out the bolt head if the allen wrench wasn't squared up right.

The kit is well worth the effort. Very nice improvement over the stock pipe and components.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I got it finished, but the y pipe sucked. I used an impact driver for all but the two bottom insides, so that took about 30 seconds. I finally got a socket with an allen bit on the clutch side bottom inside and got it tight, they i used the chopped off allen wrench and a needle nose vice grips to get the other one tight.I took the heat shield off right away and wacked it with a hammer so the y pipe would fit. I also heat taped every plastic thing that could possibly get hot. It sounds sweet and i can't wait to ride it.

E
Sep 5, 2008
Canada
I had this problem too. But I now have the ultimate solution.
You need a 4-6"long ball head allen that comes with a socket on the end. Then use your ratchet, no extension needed. You will have easy access to all the bolts. Trust me, I fought with everything then bought a set of these. I've had my y pipe off a couple times now. Piece of cake!!
Of course you need to take off your heat shield.
Buy a set of these and you will just shake your head how easy it is!!:eek::beer;:beer;:beer;

B
Dec 21, 2006
I had this problem too. But I now have the ultimate solution.
You need a 4-6"long ball head allen that comes with a socket on the end. Then use your ratchet, no extension needed. You will have easy access to all the bolts. Trust me, I fought with everything then bought a set of these. I've had my y pipe off a couple times now. Piece of cake!!
Of course you need to take off your heat shield.
Buy a set of these and you will just shake your head how easy it is!!:eek::beer;:beer;:beer;

Good call. I did the same thing. You will probably remove your y-pipe like I did after a year and replace the SLP bolts with stainless. Glad to see you got your pipe

Premium Features