• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Clutching Recipe for SLP Pipe and Cutler Adjustable Weights

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just bought a set of used Cutler 65 gram adjustable weights for my SLP pipe equipped 2009 M8 153 Sno Pro.

I'd love to know where to start with loading of the weight for 4-7,000 feet and a 170 lb rider.

I am looking at maybe getting a SLP Black/Pink 120/340 primary spring to use with the weights so I can load the motor a bit more due to the higher total force of the spring.

In the secondary I have a shift assist, the stock orange spring and a SLP 42/36 helix.

Any input would certainly be appreciated.

D
Nov 28, 2007
The best you can do for the DDrive primary is tip weight and work back. Load the tip with 50% of the weight then mid and heal. That is just me.

Don.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Guess ??? Try the 3.1 oz to start and take the screws with you to try different weight combos in the field. I like to load mine in all the way from the heal. Tip weight did not work for me and you have to pull the weight to get at it.

Good luck! :D

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the info.

One of you says to use a lot of tip weight and one says not so much.

Hum?

What about clutch springs?

So I start with 65 grams and add a 3.1 gram to each weight and go down as needed to reach my target RPM?

Do Cutler weights run similar to Arctic Cat weights?

I run 73 grams now and I'm at 8,100 with my SLP pipe. What would I need in a Cutler to approximate the 73 gram cat weight?

I guess it all depends on where you add the weight to the weight, right?

I know, too many questions.

D

duc848

Dec 3, 2007
Brooklyn, New York
I am running the same elevation as you with the stock weights and it pulls hard and goes right to 8100. I am curious why you would want to change it in the first place. I also have a bdx 40/36 helix. I rode Mt adams yesterday in 2 feet of fresh and it was incredible. I never changed the gauge so I could see track speed but it ran so good I didn't care anyway.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
You're right Duc48, it does run good.

The Cutler weights are really more for next season after I have SLP do their magic on the head and cylinders. Then I want the adjustablity to be able to tune the sled in without having to buy four or six sets of clutch weights.

I'm just looking for a baseline from which to start my tuning right now.

I saw some other posts and read 69.5 or 70.5 grams but, I don't know the specifics or elevation of these setups.

S
Apr 1, 2002
Sandy, UT
I start out with 3 grams less with the Cutler weights than the stock AC weights that I have been running, then adjust from there. New spring and new spring rate will make a difference.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe because the Cutler weights have more tip weight to begin with?

You need to shoot 3 grams lighter because of this. Just balance the weights on there side on a straight edge. Narrower the better. You can then get a mass center line.

Do this to the cat weight you were running. Then get a mass center line for the blank Cutler weight. You then need to add weight to the belly to get the mass center line back down the weight to where the stock cat ones are.

Doing this you can get the cutlers to match the cat ones perfect and go from there with more power. I personally love to have my 1-1 shift 5/16th of an inch past the mass center line. I mean when you mark the mass center line I want the roller to be 5/16 past this line when the clutches are at 1-1.

The stock weights are tucked on the 05 up primary if you close up the belt to sheave to .020 they are tucked even more. This pushes the mass center line out on the tip more and the roller back behind the mass center line at 1-1. You then will over power the secondary.

Here is a picture to show you how to get the mass center line. If you do this you can copy any stock weight with your adjustable's.

Don.

daltonpro.jpg

I am running a y pipe, the large intake kit, boysen reeds and an mbrp can. my M8 pulls around 8100 but it seems to loose a bit of steam past 7800. I have been told to go to 75 gram weights. I bought the cutler 75-81.5 kit and am in the process of trying it out. I will be out in Kakwa this weekend and will let you know if it gets any better.
The M8 is the best handling sled i've ever owned, its just a little down on power. I am thinking about putting the cutler turbo on it. One of our local serviceman has been running it on his HCR and hasn;t had any problems yet.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I am running a y pipe, the large intake kit, boysen reeds and an mbrp can. my M8 pulls around 8100 but it seems to loose a bit of steam past 7800. I have been told to go to 75 gram weights. I bought the cutler 75-81.5 kit and am in the process of trying it out. I will be out in Kakwa this weekend and will let you know if it gets any better.
The M8 is the best handling sled i've ever owned, its just a little down on power. I am thinking about putting the cutler turbo on it. One of our local serviceman has been running it on his HCR and hasn;t had any problems yet.

With the stock pipe you are over taching for sure, 7800 should be about right with the stock exhaust. Even with my slp pipe on my 09 M8 it seemed to like 8000 rpm the best and with the slp porting I am shooting for 8100 which is where peak torque is at with the porting and pipe kit according to slp.

Premium Features