• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leaking Oil check valve

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Any easy ways to figure out which oil check valve is putting oil in my case during storage ??
It's definitely not a Carb one those would make a mess where I could see it .

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Drain oil reservoir before storage. Problem solved. I was under the impression that there is no "OIL CHECK VALVE". The oil free drains into the oil pump. The oil pressure head then has to push oil through the stationary oil pump during storage and into the 4 lines. There is no check valve at the end of those lines where they enter the crankcase or where they enter the carburetor to mix with the gas. Notice that only half of the oil mixes directly with the gas at an 80:1 ratio, assuming that the oil pump is adjusted for a 40:1 ratio.

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It might be pretty easy to tell, depending on the engine. I just looked at the 800 crankcase I have sitting around, and one of the two crank oil lines is a banjo type. So you can undo the banjo bolt from the crankcase (leaving the line to the pump in connected) and see if it drips. If it does, replace it and see if the problem goes away. If it's dry, then it's gotta be the other one. If both are pressed in, then the process won't be so easy. I've never messed with those, but if you can get one out, then just follow the same process. The alternative I can think of to pulling out (and possibly destroying) a pressed in check valve to see if it seeps would be to open both crank drains and see which side the oil comes out of first. I'd think it'll be pretty clear which side the oil is coming from.

Premium Features