• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Koso EGT ???

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Hey i was just wondering who has put a Single Koso EGT of there M1000 and where do the sensors mount?? i see they have a clamp on connector for the sensor, do you drill a hole and clamp that on the y- pipe or how does it work?? and also wat are normal temps for EGT on a M1000 and wat temp should be set for the overheat?? Thanks a bunch everyone. Have a good one!

S
Mar 17, 2009
Koso

Hey SnoPro

Yes you have to drill the y pipe and install it. As it is a single, i think it has to
be mounted a bit further back than the double..my double is 4-5 inches from the piston skirt so you would need to mount it near the end of the y pipe somewhere so it could read both cylinders. You'll see that it has a tapered fitting so be careful and dont drill the hole to large...you can always go bigger....Temp wise i think if you set it near the high 1100s it should be safe..some say 1200...i would talk to your dealer to confirm and maybe if theres a cat dealer in here, this will help get your thread started. Scaredy

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Man if you can get a duel Gauge you would be a lot better off.

I have found some serious number difference between the mag and pto sides on my m1000. Without the dual Gauge I wouldn't have ever noticed.

As for location. Like scardycat said I have mine installed 4" from the exhaust skirt on the piston. I have my alarm set at 1150. And I really start to worry around 1200. I have bounced to 1300 and even 1350 for a split second without problems. IMO if you are above 1250 for any length of time you might plan on getting out the tow rope.

But on your sled with the single pickup. And the location will be farther from the piston skirts. I wouldn't have any idea what you would see.

Best bet is to run it stock with the Gauge for a baseline. Checking plugs and wash, then you can add your mods and go from there.

Good luck on the single Gauge setup. Let us know what you get for temps at this location.

Thunder

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Hey i haven't bought the single yet still thinking about the dual now that you said that.... but all i really want it for is a temp gauge. Is that dumb idea for just that? Dont really have any mods other than can.. no boondocker to fiddle with, so is dual still a better idea???? Also wat should it be around for normal opertaing temp??? how much under the 1150 or so???thanks a bunch guys

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
If you are going to monitor temps you should get the dual Gauge.

You really should know what both sides are doing individually.

As for temps. normal operating temp should be around 1150-1200. If the probes are placed 4" from the exhaust skirt on the piston.

I think you would be surprised at the temps you get on your stock sled. The mid range will scare you!

Then you might think about a box, and then you will want the dual gauges.

IMO

Thunder

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
i thought you said you had your alarm set for 1150 for overheat???? how come now you say normal is 1150-1200??? just wondering what you mean, dont know much about EGT.. isn't a box pointless for stock sled i always thought... and i wouldnt know what to do with a box to get it setup right.... thanks a bunch again

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Oh i will turbo it don't you worry hahahaha. but not for while still, i am an apprentice so not making enough coin yet.... but no one else knows anything about the EGT's that would answer my last couple questions???? thanks a bunch if you do. Want find out a few more things before i buy

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
i thought you said you had your alarm set for 1150 for overheat???? how come now you say normal is 1150-1200??? just wondering what you mean, dont know much about EGT.. isn't a box pointless for stock sled i always thought... and i wouldnt know what to do with a box to get it setup right.... thanks a bunch again

Just a personal preference. I like it to run fat. So I have my BD box set to run right around 1100-1150. I want it flashing red when I get to 1150 so I can make some adjustments to keep it from getting to 1200. Or even higher.

Kind of a "Early" warning. Not a max, but early warning.

To run at the peak performance I am sure you would need to tune it to 1200 or maybe 1250. But that is so close to a burn down I won't do it.

Thunder

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
stock on my 09 m1000, 6100rpm gets up to 1260, WOT stayed around 1152. I set it at 1150 but will let it climb up sometimes. personally I think 1150 pulls smother and it feels like theres more torque. From my readings the koso daul I have is spot on. at 1150 the plugs look perfect. If all you have is a can you don't need anything but with a fuel controller and egts sometimes you can tune it a little better and get more response and power. Sound to me like you need to hold off and do some more reading on here, you might find your money could be spent on something more usefull at the time.

Mar 26, 2009
i have a 08 m1 with the dual koso egts i have them mounted as far down the y pipe as possible i see temps up to 1305 when i am running down the river.. it usually is around 1260 f. I was worried untill i did a plug run and it was a nice colour..

Premium Features