• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Input on 800 Assault 144

J
Oct 25, 2012
I am considering a 2013 Assault 144 with a 2" track for midwest boondocking and trip each year to Wyoming. Have ridden pro155 out west last 2 years and loved it. What can I expect for handling, climbing and powder turns with the 144 Assault. Any input will be appreciated.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I am going to buy one of these things. The sled will be prepped for an Iron Dog Trail Class run (1.352 studded track, maybe a Trail Tank, my 2-up cargo seat, gear bags, the cool heated dash bag, wide clyde wind shield, GPS, etc). Afterwards it will meld with my 012 600 RMK, where the narrow A-arms will be transfered to the Assault and probably a longer track installed as well as the cool running boards now being offered. Some will say you should get the 155 Pro, but I desire a more mid-stream shorter tracked sled for my immediate needs. You will have to give up the mind-controlled manuverability of the Pro though (dang compromises). The Assault wins all the off-trail cross-over comparisons but comes up short on the on-trail tests. I will correct that. Also, I can work with the older styled powder skid. Now if it just came with the cogged final drive belt...(probably next year). 550iq

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
We have 2 144 assaults in our western riding group, they do very well!

1 of them is switching to a 155 for 2014, but keeping his 144 for the U.P.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2007
Saskatchewan
2012 SBA with wrap, riser, powder keg combo

Love this sled. I ride 90% flatland in Saskatchewan and 10% mountains (West Yellowstone). Great all around all purpose sled. More of a deeper snow off trail machine (exactly my type of riding). Works very good in the mountains and I think it is more fun than the longer tracks as it is very nimble and quick. Just got to be carefull when stopping in deep snow as the shorter track will sink more and running boards will cause some stucks if not carefull. Easy to get use to though and did I mention a lot of fun....

Pic is of my trip to West Yellowstone last year and the snow was deep near the end of Jan. Fun sled to launch.

West Yellowstone 1.jpg 100_0965.jpg

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I ride a 141 in the mountains every day, having that length (approx) in a pro chassis would be a friggin dream!!!

Can't imagine you wouldn't be happy. Even my N/A 141 got around WAY better than most expected, but it can also do things that a longer track just can't.

Premium Features