• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HOT jugs

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
OK, not what you think ...

Cracked the back on my 07 M8 tunnel last weekend, along with the extruded coolant line. Long story short, lost all the coolant and shut it down when the overheating warning light came on. Long tow back to the lot.

Replaced the broken parts, fired it up, dreaded 2-1 detonation sensor going off. Shut er down and coolant coming from the head area.

Engine must have gotten hotter than I thought, because the O-rings that seal the head bolts melted! Also the O-rings on the RKT domes.

Domes are not warped. Pistons have a layer of black carbonize substance which scraps off with my thumbnail (assume from the antifreeze in the combustion chamber?). No melting of the Piston that I can see. Haven't pulled the jugs yet to look at the skirts.

If the pistons are intact, would they be OK or could there be possible metal fatigue? Rings? With all the heat .. Anything else I should check or replace?

THK

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
on saturday i broke a piston skirt, which ended up taking the piston the jug/ and the worst part was it poked a hole in my lower case (which costed alone 800 bucks) we pulled it apart and the piston had a huge crack on the opposite side, moral to this story, i should have changed the pistons sooner would have been 250 dollars instead of 1600!

S
Dec 16, 2007
Hayden, ID
on saturday i broke a piston skirt, which ended up taking the piston the jug/ and the worst part was it poked a hole in my lower case (which costed alone 800 bucks) we pulled it apart and the piston had a huge crack on the opposite side, moral to this story, i should have changed the pistons sooner would have been 250 dollars instead of 1600!
How many miles on the sled? and or mods?

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Good advice from all. Pulled the pistons and they had gotten really hot. Are brown heatsoaked on the backside (inside). New top end in process.

Premium Features