• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HID Xenon installation on 06 RMK - Problem

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
HID Xenon installation on 06 RMK - Problem - SOLVED

Hi,

have just installed a H4 bi-xenon kit on my 2006 RMK.
It has a battery, so it should'nt be a problem.

I start up the sled and the lights come on, the problem is that i can't shift between low/high. The instrument panel shows that the "high" lights are on. But when i switch over to low, nothing happens.

Any ideas? Anything special with the H4 pin configuration on the sleds?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
It has one bulb for each side, with a a shield that moves by means of the electrical motor on each bulb.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Tought I'd bring this to the top again, as i just found out what the problem was.

There seems to be some kind of monitoring system on these sleds.
I believe this also applies to newer Polaris sleds.
(Maybe its a safety to prevent burned stators?)

Because the HID (Xenon) light only draws 35W, the sled automaticly switches to HIGH. That means, the sled believes that the low light is defect, and therefore fires the HIGH light.

If you connect a small light bulb (i used a 5W bulb) on the near (low) light connector of the H4 socket, it will all be working.

With this easy fix i can now switch between low/high and the High- indicator operates as its supposed to do.

are u using just regular H4 bulbs that are say they are HID or did u buy a HID kit with ballasts..what brand name do u have????? most of the time when you are wiring a balast for a hi/low system there needs to be resistors put between your stock headlight wires and the connections to the ballast to work properly to lower voltage from 55/60w to 35w.
if u have a actual HID kit and not knock off HID bulbs that just make the light white/blue... check with the manufacture on what type of resistor u need. same goes with a ford or dodge u need sum type of resistor to bring down the voltage or u will burn out your ballasts

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've been wrong before... but I am as familiar with that system as anyone.... IMO...

There is no monitoring system there... The power goes thru the switch directly to the lights... the switch is a simple "A-or-B" contact type swich...

HID lights need to have a clean supply of DC current that does not droop below threshold voltage of the ignitor in an HID light...

If you dont have one... You will need to get a CAPICITOR for your system or a battery to stablilze voltage.

Capacitors take the place of batteries in DC electrical systems. They store energy, then release it if the vehicle power drops momentarily. Will not provide power if the bike is turned off.

Check out this page and have a look around the site.

http://www.trailtech.net

http://www.trailtech.net/040-CAP56.html

Good luck.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
It is a real HID kit, H4 bi-xenon. And i have a battery on my system. Regardless, i need the 5W bulb connected on "low" for it to work. Done some reading and found several people with the same problem on newer dragons also.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
ive been running hid headlights in my crosscountry sleds and mountain sleds sence 07 with the cfi motors and they are all plug and play kits with no problems at all

so kits out there will need a resistor added to them like stated about the kits only pull 35watts and you need at least 55 for the high beam light to go out on the dash.

i can draw a diagram if anyone needs one and post it just let me know.

K
Jan 24, 2009
I would love to run the HID kit on my 09 shift but didnt think ya could without the battery, sorry if i am sounding stupid but where do ya hook the power for the ballast to?? Thx :beer;

Premium Features