• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard Steering

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
m8 steering

Tons of old post on this M8 hard steering issue, after lots of screwing around with suspension adjustments etc etc etc etc.

I use slp straight line tracking skiis, firecat handle bar set up 5" over stock M series height, and adjusted my handle bars back from stock position so your standing position on the running boards is 3 or 4 " back from where I used to stand, best improvement I've found for the M8.

Learned this from setting up XP's so someone other than the incredible hulk could steer them, this mod also takes some of the high speed bussiness out of both M8 ( which most folks find not busy anyway ) but crucial to living through any 40+ mph riding on the xp. Also makes Ppro skiis livable on M8 for those not in denial.

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Is this new? Check the grease in the spindles, mine took a ton and almost seemed empty. This improved it dramaticly and it is great now. Mine was so bad I almost crashed on the first turn because I couldn't straighten the bars.

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You can move the front susp. arm down to the next hole in the tunnel and take a lot of pressure off the skis. Also back off on the pressure on the ski shocks.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Often stiff steering is caused by over tightening the fasteners on the steering support that hold the column bushings. This year has been particularly troublesome with everyone adding the optional goggle warmer bag and subsequently cranking those retention nuts down. The need only be tight enough that the column has no noticeable play and no tighter. Furthermore, allot of the complaints of observable slop in the column can be alleviated by snugging up the same 5/16 nuts.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Super easy to adjust the suspension to lighten the tuff steering.

Just decrease the pressure in the rear float and front shocks, then tighten the front skid shock up a bit.

R

rohdeiv

Apr 4, 2008
I have a 09 M8 that I rode for about 400 miles, loved it. Then it started getting progressively harder to steer each time out. I bought some low temp grease, and started on the spindles. Each zert took about 25-30 pumps until it started to squirt out the top. I think that might be enough. It steers like a dream now.

R
Jan 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
If your limiter straps are loose then all the weight is on the track causing ski pressure loss, you need to tighten it which sucks the track up in the tunnel to put more weight on the skis for better steering. But then in powder the track has a harder time getting to the base and you will trench really bad. Hope this helps.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
If your limiter straps are loose then all the weight is on the track causing ski pressure loss, you need to tighten it which sucks the track up in the tunnel to put more weight on the skis for better steering. But then in powder the track has a harder time getting to the base and you will trench really bad. Hope this helps.

He has to much ski pressure and wants to lighten it up. Thus the suggestion of lightening the ski pressure not increasing it.:beer;

8mycash

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon B.C.
Check your inner tie rod ends, my dealer has found some very tight and replaced them under warranty, more then a few have had this problem.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My 09 is very hard to turn even when the front end is jacked up. Took the bolts out of my tie rods at the spindles and found 3 out of the 4 heim joints very hard to move and they were squeeking terribly. Lubed them up and they loosened up a bit. Going to ask my dealer about the possibilty of getting them replaced under warranty

Premium Features