• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

General Grass drag set up tips

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
So tis the season for swap meets and grass drags. I'm not worried or interested in what guys are doing with their dedicated grass drag sleds. I'm just curious as to what the mountain sledder can do to his sleds to prepare for a small, local grass drag. 200' track. Only classes are vintage stock, modern stock, vintage mod, modern mod and a open class. Simple tricks in skid set up, minor clutching changes ( not interested in paying for a whole new clutch set up for 10 seconds of racing). What's a good lube for the hi fax? Like I said. Not looking for anything but a few EASY tips to help me and others out.

Thanks to all who understand where I'm
Coming from, I just want to hang around some sleds, sniff some race gas and 2 stroke oil and have a good time while waiting for the snow to fly!

Last edited:

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
All we do with our mountain sleds is weight them for our altitude. Antifreeze in a hand yard sprayer to lube up the tracks. Its that simple. Turbos sure are fun on dirt.:face-icon-small-coo

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
All we do with our mountain sleds is weight them for our altitude. Antifreeze in a hand yard sprayer to lube up the tracks. Its that simple. Turbos sure are fun on dirt.:face-icon-small-coo

Exactly the info in looking for. Thanks!

Is wheelying not much of a concern?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I can give ya some simple free things to do. 200ft is REALLY short! If you have any gears, gear it as low as you can. Put in the correct weights. Pull the clutch cover off and add a shim to raise the engagement. 4000-4500 rpm would be WAY better then the 2000-2500 its likely at now. find something thats the same size as your primary spring, PVC pipe, plumbing fitting you can cut down, anything solid is fine, try a 1/4" tall shim and see how much is raises it.

I would also try and lower the sled, soften the shocks up, shorten the limiter strap.... then make a few test runs. the first 60ft is all you really care about, just get the sled to come off the line good. You dont want the skis 3 ft in the air, 6-10" is perfect.

Track lube.... get a pump up sprayer and mix up some water and liquid dish soap. if you can run it on a track stand while spraying it on the hyfax would be best. Have Fun! Eric

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I can give ya some simple free things to do. 200ft is REALLY short! If you have any gears, gear it as low as you can. Put in the correct weights. Pull the clutch cover off and add a shim to raise the engagement. 4000-4500 rpm would be WAY better then the 2000-2500 its likely at now. find something thats the same size as your primary spring, PVC pipe, plumbing fitting you can cut down, anything solid is fine, try a 1/4" tall shim and see how much is raises it.

I would also try and lower the sled, soften the shocks up, shorten the limiter strap.... then make a few test runs. the first 60ft is all you really care about, just get the sled to come off the line good. You dont want the skis 3 ft in the air, 6-10" is perfect.

Track lube.... get a pump up sprayer and mix up some water and liquid dish soap. if you can run it on a track stand while spraying it on the hyfax would be best. Have Fun! Eric

More great info!! Thanks man!!!

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
drags...

another simple and cheap mod we have done is add as many bogie wheels to the rear suspension as you can so it will roll better and remove 1 or both ski skags as most of the run you will steer by leaning. also soften the front suspension and adjust the limiter strap for 6-10" of lift only. (as stated above) There are a ton of simple clutch mods. you can do like shimming or replacing the drive clutch spring, You can also notch the clutch weights to hold a higher engagement. run a slightly steeper helix can also help with a quicker upshift for drag racing... There are so many more little thing to do but this and the other advise above will get you started. Good luck, What sled is it your riding?:face-icon-small-coo

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
another simple and cheap mod we have done is add as many bogie wheels to the rear suspension as you can so it will roll better and remove 1 or both ski skags as most of the run you will steer by leaning. also soften the front suspension and adjust the limiter strap for 6-10" of lift only. (as stated above) There are a ton of simple clutch mods. you can do like shimming or replacing the drive clutch spring, You can also notch the clutch weights to hold a higher engagement. run a slightly steeper helix can also help with a quicker upshift for drag racing... There are so many more little thing to do but this and the other advise above will get you started. Good luck, What sled is it your riding?:face-icon-small-coo

Thanks for the info!

Going to run 3. Stock 2015 pro 800 163(wife's)

2013 race gas turbo pro 800 163" with timersled skid with fox evols, geared down 2.5" camo track (mine)

2012 cat 1100 turbo with Evo 215 flash,geared down, 2.6pc track (mine)

Premium Features