• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fst turbo

307 Snow*Moto

Mar 10, 2008
Big Horn, WY
My dad bought two left over 2006 FST Swtichbacks, both with 0 miles, brand new, and both 144 tracks. My dad likes how queit they are, the electric start, the push button reverse, etc., but hated it was small and more of a crossover midwest sled. We took his and stretched it to a 151 because the 144 and 151 tunnel were the same in 2006 so we did not have to put a tunnel extension on it, we put a 2 inch lug camoplast track on it because thats all you could go with a 2.52 pitch driver and we did not want to drop and roll it or change drivers. Did Holz A-Arms, Holz Spindles, SLP Can, Black Better Boards, and a ton of vents. We put SLP hot air elimination kit on the clutch side, Fire N Ice Side Panel Vents, SLP Console Vents, Fire N Ice Windshield Vents. The sled runs amazing, they make a stronger belt like the 115 belt for the FST that works very well, no problems at all. We have tried to get it lighter by stripping plastic but there just isnt a whole lot to throw away. Maybe a rear skid next year would help lose some more weight. But realistically it needs to come out of the front end, it is very nose heavy and understandably so. all in all this is a FUN sled, I took it up yesterday and went "FSTing". It went everywhere I pointed it, it pulls hard, spools up quick, climbs well, jumps okay, like I said all in all it is a very fun sled. It is faster than an 800, and from the specs the 2006 has the same engine as the 2009 FST Switchbacks and they are rated around 140 hp. The nice thing about FST's is you dont have altitude hp loss, so if it truly is 140ish then its 140ish everywhere. I will try to get some pictures of it and post them soon.

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lots more on these sleds/engines on hardcoresledder and polarisfiles.

180-190Hp comes easy with chip/controller so I dont see why these should not be able to do well in mountain trim?

What does the engine weigh, compared to a rotax 809 or XCR 8? These would be in the 180-190Hp range to when modded.

and the FST SB just needs a track/extention to become a RMK (+ clutch/gear).

RS

307 Snow*Moto

Mar 10, 2008
Big Horn, WY
If the 2006 FST Switchbacks had engine troubles or issues we don't know about it or else they got them fixed. I know people did not have good luck with them in 2006 but over the last couple years there have been recalls, reflash's and fixes for them and now they seem to be just fine. I know that at the beginning of the season when my dad bought his we were informed that the engine was updated/reflashed and was to 2009 spec. So yes maybe they had issues when they came out but they are all worked out now.

On another not because this topic was brought up I actually contacted Oliver who is the owner of Boost Engineering in Quebec and he has developed the Stage 1 Reflash for the FST. Here is what he told me: take your ECU out, send it to him. It costs $650 to reflash and then you get 30 more ponies give or take a few based on elevation and temperature. He has also developed some new stainless steel boots that replace the stock rubber boots at the the throttle bodies to prevent blowing them off. Those cost $20. You also have to chaneg the spark plug to the "8" and space them out a tick. When your done you have a hot set up that pulls 18.5psi boost and 168 to 170 ponies in a 575ish pound sled. In my opinion the power weight ratio just got a whole lot better for 670 bucks. I can not think of another single aftermarket part you can by for any sled for 670 that gives you 28 to 30 hp. Pretty amazing.

Premium Features