• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fox float to float 2 upgrade

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Anyone spent the 350 and got the float to float 2 upgrade done? What did you think?

Or has anyone compared floats and float 2's back to back?

I know what you get with the upgrade, and the technology and what not, but I am curious as to how it actually transforms the ride.

Thanks

Farmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Carbondale, CO
I did the upgrade from regular Floats to Float 2s a few years ago on my apex. and was very pleased with the results. A big difference in ride quality. It was well worth the money at the time. Now I am getting ready to do the same thing on my 2011 M8 it came with regular Floats and I am going to upgrade them this summer to Evols. http://www.foxracingshox.com/service/?m=snow

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I did the upgrade from regular Floats to Float 2s a few years ago on my apex. and was very pleased with the results. A big difference in ride quality. It was well worth the money at the time. Now I am getting ready to do the same thing on my 2011 M8 it came with regular Floats and I am going to upgrade them this summer to Evols. http://www.foxracingshox.com/service/?m=snow
From what I have heard, it is better to spend the money on the float 2 upgrade then the evol upgrade if you have regular floats.

I don't know though so it will be interesting to see your results.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Moving forward, for the 2012 season, there are additional new parts that will become available for tuning internally. The goal or idea was to continue to improve on the the Float 2 ride quality.
For comparison, everything internally is changed from the old style Floats to the Float 2, including a high flow piston that does not aerate the oil like the original piston design.
The add on Evol chamber was originally meant or designed for the Artic Cat oem style shocks that did not incorporate an internal negative spring.
It works very well on all of the aftermarket Float 2 style shocks, though the Float 2 uses an extra volume bearing, which would not be necessary with the add on Evol kit.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Moving forward, for the 2012 season, there are additional new parts that will become available for tuning internally. The goal or idea was to continue to improve on the the Float 2 ride quality.
can you spill the beans? Will this be included in the Float - Float 2 upgrade?

Farmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Carbondale, CO
For comparison, everything internally is changed from the old style Floats to the Float 2, including a high flow piston that does not aerate the oil like the original piston design.
The add on Evol chamber was originally meant or designed for the Artic Cat oem style shocks that did not incorporate an internal negative spring.
It works very well on all of the aftermarket Float 2 style shocks, though the Float 2 uses an extra volume bearing, which would not be necessary with the add on Evol kit.

Thank you for the info. That being said, what do you recomend to be the better direction to take a set of stock fox floats off an Arctic cat? Upgrade them to Fox Float 2s or change them to Evols? Thank you for the input.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
can you spill the beans? Will this be included in the Float - Float 2 upgrade?

We are still finalizing testing, because we still have a lot of snow here in Cali to test on!! The concept is or has been to continue to reduce or eliminate aeration issues that happen to the oil while the shock is being worked during the ride session. This oil aeration causes a loss of shock performance for the rider.
Different negative springs were also developed, more specifically for mountain riders, and a new design in piston technology. The results have been very impressive to date, and most should be incorporated into running changes for the aftermarket ski shocks, as well as for our rear skids. We will keep you posted on the end results.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Thank you for the info. That being said, what do you recomend to be the better direction to take a set of stock fox floats off an Arctic cat? Upgrade them to Fox Float 2s or change them to Evols? Thank you for the input.

If the money is no problem, you can do them both. Or sell what you have and simply purchase a set of R Evols. Otherwise if I was keeping cost down to a minimum, I would change to the Float 2 first.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Do you think that the new pistons for the floats will be avalible by next fall? I would like to redue my floats and I would just wait a few months to get the best valving I could.

Premium Features