• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

easyest way to beef up my stearing post

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I have a 01 RMK 800 the last time I rode I seen the stearing post give a little to much. It isnt broke or nothing but I thought I would beef it up over the summer. Any sugestions would be great. I really havent looked at it yet tho. thanks for the info.

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
steering post

Machine a rod to tightly fit inside the sterring post, lightly hammer it down the post and then drill and tap a hole or two through the post into the solid rod and never worry about it again.

N

nps RMK

Nov 26, 2007
York, NE
I have had this problem on a Gen 2 sled as well as an Edge sled. I took and plugged the bottom of the steering post with newspaper or another like material. I then took a piece of ready rod cut to length and put it inside the post, setting on the newpaper, cloth, rag, etc. Then pour a fiberglass mixture down into the post to seal up all the remaining space. Just make sure you did a good job plugging the hole in the bottom of the post:eek: Once dried you should have a hard, cheap fix on your weak post.:beer;

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I used to still bend them doing the above mods. It was not until I added another support brace above the existing one that I quit bending posts. Look at an edge or prox. You will see the bracket/bushing that they use to go around the post for an upper bushing. I made a bracket that bolted to the top of the steering hoop for one of these bearing to mount to about 5 inches above the hoop it's self. Cost very little, and easy to do. Post will last forever. I did several of these back in the day. Sorry, I don't have any of these sleds around here still and did not take pics at the time. I wish I had since this topic comes up quite often. Hope this makes sense to you.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
OK,
You can stuff a rod down it. That will transfer the bend and it will bend anyway.
You can fill the rod with epoxy. It will still bend.
You can add gussets. it will snap.

The stock post is cheap and soft. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

You can get a wildchild chromoly post (there are a couple other places that sell them, but his are the best). Problem solved. I was running a 6" riser with a set of aftermarket bars with a 2" rise built into them.

Been there done that.
I went the cheap route and ended up flat on my back watching my sled ripping across an area only to smack into a tree. The steering post snapped and when that happens you will pull on the bars and that will yank the throttle cable and put the sled WFO.
It cost me over 800 dollars in parts to learn.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
beef up post

I used a 10 inch long 3/8" extension made by Husky and available at Lowe's. You need to grind off part of the female end to clear the bar clamp. Fits really snug so no epoxy needed. Ran a 6 inch pivot set up on mine with no problems.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Holz used to have a steering post for the Gen 2 and Edge chassis. I don't know if they offer it anymore.

Premium Features