• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dura pro magnetic tether mount

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I just put a weak magnet on the lower left side of my Barryvox S while it was in "transmit" mode. It turned off entirely for a few seconds and then rebooted with an error code until I moved the magnet away. This was repeatable with the weak magnet (a small magnetic pickup tool), so I got my Artic Cat leash, which has an even weaker magnet. I couldn't turn the beacon off with the leash. From what I've seen, the DuraPro leash uses a much stronger magnet than the Artic Cat.

I tried the same thing with a Tracker 4 and couldn't make the blinking light turn off with the magnet, so I didn't try the leash.

These are the only two beacons I have in my house. I didn't use a searching beacon to test the transmit of another, because there's just too much electronic noise around here for that to be reliable (the searching beacon would be erratic regardless of a magnet near the transmitting beacon).

I believe the first I heard of this problem was with an earlier model Pieps DSP. I also think the clamshell style Ortovox uses a magnetic switch. There may be others.

The key take-away for me is to do as FatDogX did - test your gear and determine for yourself if you're comfortable with it. There are too many beacons made by different manufacturers, and then different generations, for a blanket statement one way or another.

Your very last line is spot on my friend!! Take the time to know gear and be comfortable with it!!

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
just tested a BCA Tracker 3. I didn't see any indication of a mode change

G
Oct 21, 2017
Idaho
So, I did a little experimenting with two transceivers, mine which is a Pieps DSP Pro and a buddies BCA Tracker 2. Now this was just a few quick experiments in the garage, nothing fancy.

1st test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode, with NO tether in sight.
Both transceivers worked, without any issues.

2nd test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode, with the rider portion of the tether next too or up against the Pieps.
Pieps worked without issue and there was no change from test one.

3rd test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode. This time I moved the Pieps closer to and then away from the sled portion of the tether, which is a stronger magnet.
The readings on the Pieps would not change and it worked fine.

4th test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Peips in search mode. This time the Tracker 2 was placed on the sled right next to the tether on the sled (both pieces of the tether).
The readings on the Pieps would not change and worked fine.

5th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, with NO tether in site.
Both transceivers worked, without any issues.

6th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, with rider portion of the tether next too or up against the Tracker 2.
This is where it started to get interesting. The Tracker 2 would be searching fine but when the magnet got really close to it or touched the Tracker 2 it seemed to slow it a bit and the number would go up about a meter? Pull the rider portion of the tether way and the number would go back down and it seemed to speed back up.

7th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, This time I moved the Tracker 2 closer and then away from the sled portion of the tether, which again is the stronger of the magnets.
Again, just like the sixth test, the Tracker two would slow a bit and the number would go up roughly a meter. Once you pull it way, it would go back to normal.

8th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, This time the Pieps was placed on the sled right next to the tether on the sled (both pieces of the tether)
The readings on the Tracker 2 worked fine.

Again, this was just a few quick tests in the garage with "these transceivers". After doing this, I do feel comfortable with my current transceiver but obviously something to keep in mind, consider and something you should check if you run any magnetic tether.

74a1121fdf3ccac882c09ed5086f447b.jpg

c9ab25cc28245e092ff76eed931e483a.jpg
Just a heads up to PIEPS owners, please read
A few people have had these turn off with no input from to user, one guy had a close call in an avalanche and his beacon had turned off
Scary

Premium Features