• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D7 RMK 08 Pros and Cons

backman

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2008
Hi

What is the pros and cons of the D7 RMK 08. Heard of trouble with TPS, weak a-arms, any truth in those rumours? The 700, is it bulletproof? What to say about suspension, is it adequate for faster transportation to the powder?

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Here is my take on it after 2400 miles. Motor runs very strong for a 7, is it going to beat 8s? No. But its right there with them. A-arms are a lil weak but better that they bend instead of the bulkhead. From all the talk if you are bending arms upgrade to Holz sheds a lil weight and they are stronger that is what I am doing over the summer. Haven't had any prob with the tps on mine. The track is good in deep dry powder but I don't like it when the snow gets heavy or set up , its just not stiff enough. Now the shocks, they can be a huge con or a huge pro just depends on if you want to get them setup right. From the factory mine were way to soft. Made the front end seem to dive and to much body roll. Pulled them off and sent them to Walker Ev. and had them rebuild and set them up for my weight and riding style and now I love them. Have landed flat and they soak it up well.
If you don't have to have the high mark, want a great boondocker that is easy to throw around and jump then its a good choice. If you are the type of rider that has to out climb everyone then you should prob look for something else.
If you decide to pick one up plan on regearing it at least, It really wakes up with a gearing change.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Just talked my bro in law into buying an 08 D7 with 2750 miles on it. I was a little worried, but after going through it after the first ride, which was not a good one we dialed in the problem and I will say the thing is rediculous! It had a broken primary so I swapped it and the secondary and installed the derlin washers, 58-10 weights, slp pipe and can, air horn, and prefilters. It was really hard to pull him with my D8 on a flat land race! Mine has those mods as well and the 09 motor. I will say that if it runs this good now without a hint of wear, It must be bulletproof!! Get one!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
p.s. the a-arms are the same on all of those raw sleds. They suck. Just buy the Holz and you will be happy.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What is the mapping like on these sleds? Would it be worth it to purchase a Power Comander or other box to remove fuel in stock form? I gotta imagine, they are plenty rich from the factory????

I picked a 7 up for the wife, and planning add ons for the summer.... I just want it to have a nice clean, crisp, throttle...

S
Dec 13, 2007
Eagle, CO
have a 08 d7 155 and love it i handles great and boondocks great, best overall machine for the money for sure, it may not put the highest mark on the hill but will hang with them. mine is all stock, i have seen and riding a few with minor mods, (pipes, can, clutching, and gears) they outperform most 800s and hang with the modded ones, great machine overall would definalety get it

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
Outlaw Addict, im tellin you, do the Carls pipe n port. Mine was a screamer with just the pipe 208-853-5550 Chris. Call these guys, they can answer any question you have better than most. To anyone else, I rode the 700 in 08 and the 800 in 09. Im selling the 800 and hoppin up the 700. If you run it stock, throw the 10-60 weights away and put in some 58's. Put a black purple spring in the secondary and gear it down. I believe it comes with 20-41 gearing or something like that. That is considerably higher than an 800 at 19-41, hello.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
In our shop the 700 is the least likely to break and has the happiest customers , all the Carl's and SLP pipe stuff plus clutching makes em rock if you got the scratch then get em ported and re mapped and then just go hunting for xp's and m8's but please leave the d8's alone they have enough problems just now IMO

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Over 2,000 miles on my '08 with no problems other than a bog on reacell that only happens after I've sat to rest for a few minutes. I believe the TPS needs adjusting. Mine is also an oil hog. One tank oil per one tank gas. Again, just an adjustment that I'll get done b4 next season. Other than that it is a great sled.

I lowered the gear to 19T and the clutch weights plus added shock tower & foot well vents to keep the clutches cool. 2cool & SLP vents for the pod to add air. Sealed the headlight to keep out snow.

Also, added Meathookers Feethookers (similar to BetterBoards) so I don't fall off as much. A few other goddies have beed added & I have been very happy so far.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
i have one with 4500 miles and it still runs great. I had rpm issuses but it was a broke motor strap. I installed new pistons at 3900 miles for safety. It still is sound as could be and i love it.

Last edited:

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Comes 20/41 stock, I believe. I went with 19/41 the first season on my 07 700 and liked it. Read a lot of posts of snowesters going with 19/42, so I tried it and love it. Much more responsive at slow speeds while boondockin' in the trees and helped with belt temps.

Hope this helps,

Kale

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
i have a d7 and i put about 1100 miles on it this winter. It has been trouble free, pull and go sled that i a lot of fun to ride. It hangs right there with the 800's. i haven' had any problems with the a-arms yet, but that might be the first thing to go from what i have heard. The d7 is an awesome sled, and a blast to ride, i know i absolutely love mine.:D Hope my input helps get you on a polaris.:beer;
Brad

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have a 2007 Dragon 700 that I purchased new. 3700 TROUBLE FREE MILES!! VERY HAPPY WITH THE SLED.

Best mod was the PC III that I purchased from DYNOTECH JIM with the correct mapping. Richened up the mid-range and 5% to 10% LEANER on top end. Best $ 365.00 I ever spent. Got rid of the mid-range gurgel and now has a near-perfect plug reading.

Did the V-Force reeds, waste of money IMO.

Other than studs and SLP air horn, SLP push arm, and (4) flo-rites, Box Stock!

The clutch offset alignment was way off used to glaze the belt, slotted the P.T.O. side engine bracket, belt rides to the top of the of the primary now.

Oil consumption was high @ 37:1 stock, 1 1/2 turns and now it's 57:1.

My bud also has an identical 2007 D-7, 2400 TROUBLE FREE miles, pull the rope and go kind of guy, had to slot the engine bracket as well, other than that NEVER put a wrench on the sled in 2400+ miles.

Last edited:
Premium Features