• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cutler weight stuck , help

G

GangGreen

Jul 3, 2001
Layton utah
I have Cutler weights in a M8 and I could not get the set screws out. The allen head striped and wont come out. I did use heat and still no luck. any sugestions on how to get them out?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you put the long one in first didn;t ya...???...if ya did all directions say not too...anyway try left/reverse drill bit..the hex will center your bit..but if your put the one inch first into the tip she is bound good...the shorter ones do not bind...still use a bit of heat drilling..go a few sizes smaller then threads so you don;t damage weight..if you don;t have reverse bit you could try normal bit and drill from tip towards heel...the intent is not really to drill through...what happens is the drill rotation as drilling and the heat etc spins the screw out as it is being drilled..

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Pretty sure he's talking about pin set-screws. Cutlers fit to the pin is a bit loose and if you don't check the screws a few times on the first ride they can come a tiny bit loose and mushroom over.

Your screwed. A tiny torx bit is your last chance. Saved 2 weights for a buddy like that but the last one was too far gone.
Tiny stone and a dremel got the weight off, less any threads.

Geo

G

GangGreen

Jul 3, 2001
Layton utah
Yea it is the set screw, I tried the torx trick,worked before, but it broke off and now it won't drill out. I think I am screwed. expensive lesson, and its not my clutch.:mad:

C
Feb 1, 2008
Take entire clutch to a machine shop. Might cost you $10.00 but most good shops have the tools, techniques and experience. Good Luck:beer;

S
Nov 27, 2007
clutch set screws

I am dealing with the same thing.Took to my bud at the machine shop.Heated it up drilled ou torx bit.Then set screw.Hope to tap the threads and be on my way!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
had the allen wrench break off in one of my set screws when trying to remove stock weights to install cutlers. ruined a few drill bits trying to drill it out and it didn't even really scratch the allen wrench piece. i ended up using a dremel and cutting a slot in it to fit a flat blade screw driver then some heat and it came right out. only down fall was it ruined the weight cuz to get the groove deep enough it cut a groove into the weight as well.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i had good luck with a reverse drill on the set screws with heat..sorry i thought in earlier post you was talking the adjustment screws..but yep lefthand drill...try it..one size below thread size

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Same thing happened to me with my cutler weight. I was able to drill the set screw, then use a blue point easy out with heat. It took a little work but the set screw finally moved and she backed right out. The weight had moved on the bolt and the set screw was dug in. Get a good quality easy out and a good quality drill bit, you should be able to get it.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Worse comes to worse you can cut the actual pin on both sides with a Dremel/small cut off. Once the weight is out it is easier to work with.

If you have a machine shop around I'd take the whole clutch there....spend the 20 bucks and save yourself the frustration.

Premium Features