• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked rails on 162 King Cat

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
My rails are cracking on my King. I have looked into getting them welded but heard that doesn't really hold up very well. I have also looked at getting after market (iceage, etc) but most go for $300 or so.
a) does anyone have a clean set they would like to sell me?
b) there are two m skids for sale locally, the first is off an 07 m1000 with zero pros for $300 and the second is newer m series with floats for $500.
just curious what other people have done, and if you've run the m skid on your 1M if you've liked it.
Thanks!

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
I had mine welded mid-season my first yr. out on the new (2 me) sled. Got me through the season... but yea, the stress and coming failure was obvious.

So... I got ahold of IceAge and ordered a new set. I learned that they will be happy to make them, but it's not a model they stock, ready to go anymore.
When mine came in... they were 2" too long. At the time... I was pretty green and didn't know much about my sled. This caused me a whole lot of confusion for some time before I realized they had sent me longer rails than my 162 needed.

All that said... trimming was no big deal and I like the rails. Just an FYI, if ordering a new set for yourself, make sure you are very clear about the year and size when you order.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
Do not weld your rails

Just so everyone knows.. your rails are tempered aluminum, so you can't weld them and expect them not to crack. Mine are cracked again so i'm having to buy a new skid.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Suspension

I have 05 king efi. Once my rails crack, I will switch to a M-series suspension. Word around the block is they bolt right up. Or maybe a whole new aftermarket set up that's supper light weight! Just what I would do if I was in your situation.

Good Luck!

Premium Features