• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching Help?

T
Oct 12, 2008
ND
Ok, I have some questions. I have a 2004 King cat carb. Mostly stock engine. Clutching is all stock currently and i have 19/42 gears in it. It will do 7800-7900 rpm's on any pull which is great and has lots of power. My issue is that it seems to me that i am lacking something as far as clutching. I believe my issue is that my clutches are back shifting and taking away track speed to early. This is brought about by the fact that it a climb i seem to lose speed rapidly while the engine is still at 7800-7900 rpm's and doesn't get pulled down at all. Does anyone have some advice on how to address this issue. Should i be changing primary weights? Or do i want a different spring and helix in my secondary? Also i am currently running a straight 53 deg helix in secondary. Any help is much appreciated. Headed west after the first so looking to make changes in a hurry. Thanks!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Take some tension off you secondary spring. 5 holes in the cover plate, go counter clockwise to up shift quicker and backshift slower. If you run out of holes put a lighter spring in it. The 900 was generally set up to run around 7500 R's, so you could try more weight in the primary and see how it acts.

T
Oct 12, 2008
ND
thanks digger im going to have to get some weights ordered up. probably going to go with adjustable weights since im not quite sure what i need. jizzle i ave heard for a single pipe 7500 to 7800 ish is where you want to be for the best power. 8100-8200 is usually where twins make good power i believe. some one please correct me if i am wrong.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
thanks digger im going to have to get some weights ordered up. probably going to go with adjustable weights since im not quite sure what i need. jizzle i ave heard for a single pipe 7500 to 7800 ish is where you want to be for the best power. 8100-8200 is usually where twins make good power i believe. some one please correct me if i am wrong.

You are right on the R's, didn't know you had a pipe on it. General rule of thumb is 1 gram of weight for every 1000' of elevation...with lots of variables!

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
weights?

I got 77g's in my 05, turn my sled 75-7700. Lots of variable though? Id say put some weight in. I also didnt like the adjustables, they had a differant profile and were very touchy on engagement. I like a smooth engagement and a good hit on the bottom. I ride 3-6k here in the NW on heavier snow type. I have an all stock sled except for some clutch tuning and some gearing. I would buy a gauge with a J/S sensor. best money I have spent yet! -Good luck and Merry Christmas -00's

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
2Z what is a J/S sensor? Is it a jackshaft sensor you are referring to? Wheres a good place to get one? Thanks Mike

Premium Features