• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing Clutch Weights?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I need to change the clutch weights in my crossfire, how do you do it? Pictures or a detailed description would be great! This is a stupid question, but i have always had my mechanic change them for me. I am doing it tomorrow night so help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
how to.

Remove side panel, belt guard, then drive belt. Next, loosen the 2 mm set screws that hold the weights stationary on the bolt. Losten all three. Make sure you use heat to break them free as they are lock tighted in there. They can be a pain in the azz at times. I would recommend buying a good quality t shaped allen wrench, and dont force it or you will break the allen off in the set screw and your simple job just became a royal pain.

Once the set screws are loose, you need to pry the primary open using a large flat screwdriver or something else suitable. Put a socket inbetween the movable sheeve and spider to hold the clutch open . Now remove the bolts that hold the weights to the primary. You may need a punch to get the bolt out. Install new weight and make sure the 2mm set screw is lined up in the hole. Apply blue loc tite to the nut when reinstalling the cam arm bolt and tighten just enough that the weight does not swing 100% freely. Finally, drink some beerz. Once you have done it a time or two you will wonder why you ever paid someone to do it for you. It is a pretty easy process.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
No problem

I know the set screws can be a royal pain from experience. I had to ruin a cutler adjustable weight to get one out.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
hopefully i dont have any problems like that, or ill be riding the M1000 this weekend, and the snow doesnt sound like it is gonna be that great.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Just take a tourch and heat the set screws up realy good then loosen them off they are way easier i learnt this after having to drill a few out first, with the heat they are very easy. :beer;

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
if you take the center bolt out of the clutch, it takes a 12 point socket. use about a foot long piece of all thread, i think its 7/16 or 1/2 inch national fine, install the all thread where you removed the center bolt then get a large washer and a nut to fit the all thread and tighten the nut/washer down, this will spread and hold the clutch open for you and you don't have to worry about scratching or tweaking it.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Nice, I like how you think.

Thanks for the trick Sandman, i usually pulled the face off (use a home made bracket to hold spring tension) to get at the weights easier, but I like your style.

Premium Features