• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Challenger 2.5 or powerclaw

BackCountryBasics

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
www.backcountrybasics.com
I run both tracks on my M1000, depending on the time of year. Where do you live, riding conditions, & preferred terrain? Maybe I can help answer a few questions. I like both but pre fer one over the other depending on different applications.

I think the Challenger Extreme is the best all around for N Idaho conditions, but if I lived in Utah, or Colorado & had their type of conditions year round the Power Claw would be the better choice.

Amber

P
Jan 28, 2009
usk
i dont know that is a good? i have rode a hcr and the track is awsome but i like my challenger extreme to. if you liked your atack 20 then you will love the p claw if you hated it then go extreme just my 2 cents

R
Nov 30, 2007
I run both tracks on my M1000, depending on the time of year. Where do you live, riding conditions, & preferred terrain? Maybe I can help answer a few questions. I like both but pre fer one over the other depending on different applications.

I think the Challenger Extreme is the best all around for N Idaho conditions, but if I lived in Utah, or Colorado & had their type of conditions year round the Power Claw would be the better choice.

Amber

Could you please explain this more closely?
In what type of snow/conditions do these tracks have their pros and cons?

Thanks

BackCountryBasics

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
www.backcountrybasics.com
Pro & Cons

Pros 153 Powerclaw, M1000 - Timbersaled Mountain Tamer Rear Suspension

-Incredible Powder Performance & Flotation
-Very Maneuverable in deep powder
-Good all around length
-Very Forgiving in light Powder (No trenching tendencies)
-Tree Riding Powder- good flotation while making variable track speed & throttle adjustments
-Hooks up on trail fairly aggressively
-Softer Paddles & lug pattern requires less rider input (not by much over extreme, but is noticeable)

156 Extreme- w/ TSMT

-Favorite all around length for maneuverability & stability in all conditions- specifically aggressive traction is this tracks best attribute & about an 7or 8 (1-10being the highest) on flotation capabilities in light bottomless powder
-Does decent in the light powder, however higher moisture content powder performs great
-Throttle adjustments needed in light powder as to NOT trench (however, still will go good)
-Very aggressive for icy conditions (hooks up)
-Does good on trail (recommended 60MPH max as not to tear stiffer lugs)
-Spring Tree riding or set up snow (icy tree wells ect) AWESOME performance
-Great for Chutes style climbs (paddles do not fold over under full throttle) & variable snow conditions & seems to be consistent handlebilty through changing conditions
-Very stable descending (esp noticeable in icy conditions) almost feels like break is on under certain spring conditions

Cons 153- Powerclaw

-Fast on descents & wants to break traction & bring the rear of the sled around
- Not good on ice, or very hard packed snow...will slip out while climbing
- Under full throttle on set up conditions can be a handful if to much body language input is given while climbing, tends to want to over react to side-to-side input,

Cons 156 Challenger Extreme

-Harder Lug makes light constancy powder riding more difficult
-Lugs are easier to rip because of stiffness & do not give (mainly be aware when crossing creek, again high speed on trail, ect)

150 Extreme M8 w/ Mountain Tamer Suspension

-very similar to M1000 156
- faster response to rider input than the 156 M1000, however with the M8 power band can be more challenging in light tree powder riding

174-Extreme M1000 w/ Mountain Tamer Suspension

-Deep snow & Steeper Climbs are this tracks attributes
- Can wear you out in hard spring condition tight tree riding
- good for High Boost 4 stroke sleds

I have been happy with both tracks. However the Extreme is my preferred choice.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
On the big kitty, I have the attk 20 in the hillclimb. The lugs are ripping pretty good so this will be the last season on the track. Last week going down the river with bottomless powder, I was trenching at least 1' deeper than a buddy with a 154 XP. The hookup on hardpack is unbelievable with the 20 but I dont know how it compares in deep snow.. I do some hillclimbing, but most is just all around. So I am still undecided which track to go with. WHich one floats better? Which one hooks up in all condtions better?

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
I have both and I prefer the chall extreme. In a down hill situation my powerclaw turns into a skate just like the attack 20 does. I got to ride the powerclaw last wee in spring like conditions and really like how it hooked up on the hard pack with a few inches of snow. It seemed to dig into the hard pack better than my chall extreme. All in all ok track but chall ext gets the top vote. The chall is heavier than the pclaw but seems to come up on top better and doesnt trench as bad.

Premium Features