• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carl's 860 or Silber Turbo??

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I'm getting ready for a summer engine project for my 08 D8 but not sure which way I want to go. I want to run pump gas, but want big power and haven't ridden either sled. Cost not being an issue, which would you go with and why? Also is there any problems with cooling on the trail on the way to the good stuff with either? Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
depends on your riding style a little but i personally would go with the turbo. Jack (owner of carl's) is even on the turbo wagon finally.... building his own kits and possibly offereing upgrades for the bd kits. the 860's are rippy sleds and are fun but the turbo's are just as rippy w/ way more top end. Justin's (silbur) kits are actually cheaper than the 860 kits right now too. my vote would def. be the turbo, you wont be dissapointed.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I'm not the guy that likes to climb the highest steepest mountains, but I like to climb to the top of the next one over to get to the good stuff on the other side. I love the deep boondocking (doesn't everyone!) and going where no man has ventured to go! Throw in a little jumping and that's my style. Thanks for the input!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have heard that Jack's pump gas turbo project is turning out stellar results. I am going to do one and I would certainly recommend it to others. Several of my friends are going to get them. I even have a pretty diehard Ski Doo XP friend who is leaning that direction. Talk to Chris or Jack at Carl's before you decide.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I have heard that Jack's pump gas turbo project is turning out stellar results. I am going to do one and I would certainly recommend it to others. Several of my friends are going to get them. I even have a pretty diehard Ski Doo XP friend who is leaning that direction. Talk to Chris or Jack at Carl's before you decide.

yeah... i'm excited to see the end result for the year on his set up... hopin to ride w/ him one more time too this year. but i will definately be making some changes to my sled over the summer according to what jack finds and says works best.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
From my limited experience on a turbo and info from others.......you will have lag in a turbo. I don't care what turbo you put on you will have lag waiting for it to spool up, some less......some more. No lag on a BB. So It would seem a BB for low-mid range boondocking and jumping like you said you enjoyed but Turbo for hill climbs. Good luck, I know I would be going BB if I could afford it.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Ohhh hear we go.. the good ole lag debate...

Meet me out west and I will show you three turbos with no lag... :D I had a 900BB for 3 years. It was set up well. My turbo comes out of the hole a 1000x harder than that 900 ever did. I am talking a twin piped, high compression, billet 900.

A well set up turbo should be able to do ANYTHING a n/a BB can do. If not, I hate to break it to you, but keep tuning.

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I'm coming off a 727 tuned well and I just loved it. That said I'm taking a 09 d8 163 and putting a pump gas turbo on, timber sled rear to hold it down. I just climb a little but love the trees, research and age have lead me here but if you go BB from Jack you'll love that too.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I dont think anyone could argue with that fact..... either one is going to be a fun sled.

I was thinking of doing carl's 860 this summer.....and the turbo next summer:eek:..I am in the same boat..not a cliff climber but love to boondock...hard choice to make.....

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I got a call from Jack the other day it will be very interesting to see what he comes out with we talked for a wile he is a great guy and knows his stuff my Dad used to race with him a long time ago. He is going with the BD Kits so that alone says something plus I'm sure he will have some mods ontop of the kits as well and I know BD has been playing as well and there is allot to gain with the right combo. BD also been testing allot with the new electronics they have out and the new electronic waste gate system will really be an advantage as there is so many things a system like this can do.

I would talk to Jack and then go from there can't go wrong with either BB or Turbo either way bolth Jack and BD are right in your area as well.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Thanks for all the input guys, that's what's so cool about this site. I think I want a turbo that's set up properly, but again I haven't ridden either so maybe that's my next step. I enjoy reading all of your posts. Thanks again!

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
crf118r--- best thing to do is talk to Jack and Chris at Carl's and tell them what type of riding you do. I see you live in Eagle so going with someone else isn't really an option sense you're going to get the best service after the sale from Carl's and you're lucky enough to have them 10 minutes away.
I'm almost sure they'll have one to test ride at the end of May up at snowbank for their annual bbq and customer appreciation ride. Plan on attending and you'll be able to ride both the BB and Turbo sleds.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Sorry I didnt see this post earlier, It comes down to the rider, The turbo sleds are nice as you can adjust your boost level and hp ranges from day to day, so you have alot of options with them. Never just having to stay with a giving hp rate. Carls do make great products and should not be over looked. Either way you go it will be way better than stock.
Please let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them for you.
Also I can give you a qoute on the parts you need so you can get a better ideal of comparing the two.
Thanks Justin Silbernagel

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I was thinking of doing carl's 860 this summer.....and the turbo next summer:eek:..I am in the same boat..not a cliff climber but love to boondock...hard choice to make.....

Are you saying 860 with turbo on top of it??? That would be a fun sled if you could get it to run. I think all the porting in the motor would make it a tough turbo motor.

The one advantage I see of turbos is the stock parts. If you run a Garret or Mits turbo you can walk into pretty much any parts house and buy one.

If you are going to go pump gas IMO, I would just stick with the 860. Just my opinion, and I am sure 9 out of 10 will disagree.

M
Feb 20, 2009
I am new to this forum but I bring extensive experience on turbocharging with me I have produced turbo systems for the automotive industry for over fourteen years and have had great pains and successes with pain comes success and it's worth every bit of agony you can bear the art of forced induction is just that and the companies out there that are building systems for sleds are going through the same problems that I have seen in the auto industry.
I can't stress enough how important the turbo sizing is but more importantly the fuel and ignition with out them the turbo is just out to deplete your wallet of cash so you have two options you can do extensive research and ask lots of questions before purchasing a turbo pkg or you can stay NA and still have the same problems good power not great but will get you where you want to go and most likely behind your buddy that did the research and went with forced induction.
So moral of the story is do the research and when someone tells you it's plug-n-play it's prob more like plug-n-pray if you have moola to spend go turbo and LIVE or go NA and exist.
If you have Q's just pm me and I will do my best to help you resolve your dilemma.

Premium Features