• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can running premix lead to injector failure?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Buddy and I were chatting with a Cat service tech a couple days ago. Asked him how common it was to lose a fuel injector on a M1000. He said not very common unless you are running premix. He claims running premix shortens the life of the fuel injectors significantly. Anyone else seen or heard this?

Last edited:
R
Nov 29, 2007
Livingston, Montana
He not said not very common unless you are running premix.

Please excuse him, I am buddy and Bigair normally talks correctly.

I am assuming that since every cat dealer baulks and scours, when the conversation turns to the use of any of the well thought out oil injection delete methods, that this is just standard dealer reaction. When the turbo boys, Bigair included, turn up the fuel, the correct amount of oil is always present. Asking out of ignorance on my behalf, how will the relatively small amount of oil residue harm the injector?

P.S. this is not a post about oiling the water pump shaft.

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
oily injector

Always wondered when this subject would come up. Basiclly the same injectors in cars have failed when some body had to run their premix boat gas or saw gas in an emergency, not always no guaranteed to screw up, it happened to me on my 96 chev pickup, we never could quite pin it all on that, but just afer running 5 gal of premix in my truck.......injector toast.........well weak and 50mph was all she would do.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Don't compare a 96 Chev injector unit to cat ones, those things fail on a regular basis and only fix is new updated injector unit. We change quite a few.
As far as premix goes the little bit of oil in fuel should increase injector life by adding a little lube to pintle assembly and may even decrease deposits on the nozzle. Leaded fuel is probably worse than the oil.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Thumper, don't be saying things like that or Chicken740 will start blaming his problems on the poor Sinclair station. I've heard they have the best fuel in the state. ;)

I was thinking the same thing as Spoon, that the oil should help if anything.

Premium Features