• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can it be done?

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Sincere question to all.

I really have not seen an epidemic of failed 2013 or 2014 800's.... but maybe I've been looking in the wrong place.

Can you, all, point me in the right direction?

If you have a link or to a thread or some pics of one of your own on these years... please post them up.

Makes me wonder if the problems for the most part were put behind....
Taking into account that for any high performance 2 stroke with user maintenance/fuel/oil/mod/riding-style variables... that there will always be SOME failures.
I've seen a failure here and there on the 2013 or 2014's, but nothing more than the norm for the highest volume sold 800 mountain machine out there.

I'm with MH here I have 3 13's and a 11' with zero problems .. I do extensive Preventative Maintenance and Store in a Dry area over the summer.

These Have outsold all three of the other manufacturers for three years now

If a high rate of failures is about 1000 a year that's 1% of the 1,000,000 sold !!!

All the units I have delt with that have failed are NOT taken care of. They are rode hard and put in a wet spot .. and rode on the bar with the Speedo showing and no temp !! I wish the Temp could be displayed on the top !! I don't even know how fast I've gone since 2006!

All the things that we read and report ALL add up to a long RUNNING motor!! There are exceptions but even so treat it like you are on a 1000 mile trek and gas is your last worry !!
I still flog them like a teenager but care for it like a Grandmother.!!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but as all the others said .. pretty sure the wrench turner is your issue not the wrench ...

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
I just dropped $3,000+ on my Pro to completely rebuild the motor. I feel your pain. My son pulled me out of the mountains on his 1996 Phazer that fine day. I bought a new Polaris RZR and so decided I'd ride the Pro one more season without warranty. Stupid mistake!!

Polaris has a real problem IMO. Check any snowmobile classifieds and you'll see one used 800 Dragon or Pro after another after another after another with "new motor" or "fix kit" installed. I'll probably be dumb enough to buy another Pro next year but it will sure have warranty. :face-icon-small-hap

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Riding without warranty now scares me. I ran my IQ 900 and the Edge 800 before that out of warranty for at least 2 years. I'll never own another Poo that is not under warranty. Not even sure I'll own another Poo. I have been brand loyal since 2002. I am going to take a serious look at what is out there this snow check season.

I am absolutely sure that the air bubbles in the oil lines after the pump are what took the motor out. Now......I only see 3 ways for that to happen.

1. I run oil tank dry. (Never have been below 2/3 full so that is not it)
2. Something failed in the pump or hose letting in air. (Not sure how to prove that)
3. The oil res. was removed during rebuild, maybe line wasn't purged completely of air.

I am leaning towards number 3 in my mind....I always buy local and if my dealer doesn't stand behind his work or at least prove that it wasn't #3, that pretty much takes Poo of the list for snow check. Just saying. I am in manufacturing myself and I know that things happen. You need to own them and even when you can't prove if the customer is right or you are right because of circumstances, you at least split it. Or offer to. So....I guess we'll see what happens by the end of the week when I pick it up all put back together...I hope.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Not sure what to do it fix it. Indy Dan. Or sell it. We have on sled pro rmk that had bad engine problems, he sold it. My two ridding partners kill there sleds. One 14 with 3200 miles all stock but mds weighs. Still has 133 psi. Second has 2400 miles. All stock. 131 psi. I would probably sell it. Lol.

Premium Features