• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I fix this crank issue?

C
Oct 27, 2019
I am ready to put my 06 Summit 800 engine together and have found I have a problem. Earlier this year I bought a MCB reman crank with right around 1000 miles on it. Everything appeared to be in order and the bearings all felt tight. Today upon inspection I found that the PTO connecting rod had a lot of lateral play, like .052 inch. The Mag side is fine with about .015 inch. I then noticed that it appears that the PTO crank end weight hasn't been fully pressed on. The end of the connecting rod journal is recessed in the end weight. In all the cranks I have looked at I have never seen a recessed pin. My question is, can I press that on the rest of the way without effecting the crank alignment? Should I remove the PTO bearings before I attempt to press the weight on further? I appreciate any assistance with this matter. Regards from SW Colorado, Daveimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Do you have a dial indicator? Check run out on the pto end. If its good now and you press it together and it goes out you know you are not in alignment anymore. If this crank has 1000miles on it than the pto is starting to walk off and its possible it might do it again.

C
Oct 27, 2019
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to check the run out with the bearings installed? Or is that not recommended? Also, I don't have the spacer to locate the PTO bearings. Does anyone know what the clearance should be between the two? Thanks, Dave

Premium Features