• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Build my 2017 or buy new

S
Jan 29, 2018
Hey guys I’m just wandering if it’s really worth buying a new sled or build my 2017 pro climb I have a slp stage 3 kit cut tunnel
But it just seems slow and slug ish I know doing a top end kit and rebuild the clutches would help but is it worth doing that or just by brand new and sell my sled looking for opinions

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Kind of depends what model your 2017 is, how many miles are on it, and if having the Alpha single beam suspension is important to you. If it's lower mileage, a Mountain Cat, and you think you want to keep the twin rail characteristics then there might be some merit to putting some money into what you have. If not I'd say leave it alone at this point and buy something newer if you can find it.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have a 17 with alpha under it and updated clutches. Doesn’t even know it’s not a 19.
Last year I’d have told you to dump it for new. This year I’m finding parts a lot easier than reasonably priced sleds.

S
Jan 29, 2018
Kind of depends what model your 2017 is, how many miles are on it, and if having the Alpha single beam suspension is important to you. If it's lower mileage, a Mountain Cat, and you think you want to keep the twin rail characteristics then there might be some merit to putting some money into what you have. If not I'd say leave it alone at this point and buy something newer if you can find it.
It’s a hcr with 18 front end and rear skid , not a fan of the mono rail to be honest sled has 3,000 miles but motor has around 1500 on it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you sound like the type who would be a lot happier in the end just getting a new sled. a stage 3 with 1500 miles should not feel sluggish, i would upgrade to a new sled since youre already considering it, put a can on it and leave it alone. keep those clutches clean.

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I pride my self as being a tuner. I have a tough time settling on anything but perfection. I have a good running 16 with just a y-pipe, Diamond s can and mds clutching. I now ride a 20 hardcore with jaws pipe, Diamond s can and mds clutching. It is pretty spot on. I am getting to the punchline. The neighbor kid is getting into snowmobiling and I found him a 17 limited with 162, slp pipe, can, pc5 and the new slp magna force clutch weights. I tuned the sled for our elevation and for a Suzuki that thing is flat amazing! Hats off to SLP, their specs were spot on. No bog or hesitation what so ever. It run as good as my hardcore. I am not sure what you are running for clutching but I would start there.

R
Build your 17. Start with Jaws pipe with the fixings.. Your gearing will be low, 2.63 un less you changed them. You won't see over 35-40mph-ish.. Fast rev but no speed.
Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
To even come close you’d need the narrower mtn cat running boards, D&R chaincase and clutches. Parts alone your over 2k if you can do the work yourself, probably close to double if you have to pay someone. Really comes down to your finances, if you have the money to spare I’d say definitely get a newer mtn cat twin rail (if you don’t like the mono).

Premium Features