• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brand new oil pump (900 RMK) but no oil getting pumped in!

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I've been having problems with my 900 oil pump after a top end rebuild, i bled it many times with no luck so i bought a new one, i confirmed that the new pump is spinning when the crankcase is moving, i bled the lines and it still didn't work, im running lean again! One other thing i noticed is when i take the oil cap off there is an air suction there (is that normal) When i bleed the lines i have to remove that cap in order for oil to run though! Otherwise i don't know what to do, i've done it all so far and i only have 1in of rope left, Please help!

Thanks
Grant Miller

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
You nailed it. The cap must vent to gravity feed the pump. Sounds like you did a pump change for nothing:( Once you draw a negative pressure in the tank the pump will starve and no worky.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Not to hyjack a thread but what about the fuel cap? Is the fuel system vented in any way? Mine is always under vacuum and can be a PITA to get the cap off if I ride on a full tank without taking it off once in a while. Sled runs fine, no lack of fuel what so ever.
Thanks,
Nolan

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Not to hyjack a thread but what about the fuel cap? Is the fuel system vented in any way? Mine is always under vacuum and can be a PITA to get the cap off if I ride on a full tank without taking it off once in a while. Sled runs fine, no lack of fuel what so ever.
Thanks,
Nolan

Fuel tank is vented. But not the cap.

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
nmmiles

Your gas tank is vented near the top of the tank on the clutch side. Plastic vent hose kinks near the tank in that area and causes the vacuum. At least that is what problem I had after pulling the tank to replace the ECU.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Well thanks guys!! I took a look at it and tried to suck/blow on the tiny hole, but nothing seemed to work so im gonna go and say you were all right! Im gonna buy a new cap and hopefully thats what all my headaches have been about the last two months! New oil pump (preventative maintence) i guess! There is still snow, so i have a chance of fun yet!

Thanks Again
Grant

Premium Features