• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big enough for an RMK 700?

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
Currently, I drive a 1994 Indy Lite Regular (see at my profile garage), and I use it for going to friends houses, and mostly I drive it on the trails. My dad drives a 2000 RMK 700 (also see at profile garage) mainly for mountain use. For me becoming 14 years old this winter, I really enjoy the indy lite for my purposes, but I might be 2-3 years left in it for me because im starting to grow out of it. So with my dad soon upgrading to a new sled, some people think it is normal, but others think it is crazy that I might have the 700 in the next 2 or 3 years, and with some luck, maybe 1. I wanted to post this to see what you guys think about the upgrade. Do you think its normal, or is it over the top? I'll be 14 this winter, im about 5'4", around 115 lbs, and im turning into a serious snowmobiler. What do you think? (This is only other people's opinions. I just want to see what other people think)

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yeah, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't ride it. It has way more snap than what you have now but you will adjust to that pretty quickly. You will have to learn that you don't need to go full throttle all the time though.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I think it depends how smart of a rider you are... and none of us know that because we dont know you. if you're smart enough to respect the 700 and not drive like a moron and hurt yourself or someone else, then def get on the 700. if not, then wise up so that you can get on the 700! you can get hurt on both, but the 700 will just do it faster. Use your time on the underpowered sled to perfect your riding skills so when you do get on the bigger machine you can really tear it up! If people don't think you're ready for a 700, then show them you are...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Practice your technique of riding on one ski, counter-steering and overall body english on the light sled. Once you get onto the 700 it is going to be quite a bit heavier than what you are used to, so your technique will really shine through so you can manage the added weight.

If you watch vid's that have people like Chris Burandt, they make flicking the sled around look like second nature. It is for them as they have practiced. They are not superhuman guys with untold strength to make these maneuvers look easy, they just know how to work the sled. If you can get this down before you move up, people will respect you on the bigger sled as you show them that you can handle it. Plus you will enjoy it more I bet.

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
Well im 15 currently, a tad bit bigger then you at 6' tall and 170 pounds, started riding a 700 last season and it was a blast, youll be able to do things the indy can only dream of. As long as your safe and dont pull a stupid on the snowmobile and hurt yourself you should be fine. As said before the 700 is going to have alittle more snap but you learn to love it very quick in the powder. Hope this helps!

Premium Features