• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BG products High Performance 4-Stroke engine oil

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Has anyone used BG products High Performance 4-Stroke engine oil in their snowbikes?

77732.jpg
BG High-Performance 4-Stroke Engine Oil is a revolutionary synthetic blend engine oil which meets both API SM and JASO performance specifications. It is formulated to provide maximum protection, prevent micropitting, maintain high film strength, provide wet clutch lubrication and optimize cooling. Excellent for use in Harley Davidson, Asian and European motorcycles and ATVs. Designed for air- and water-cooled gasoline engines requiring API SM and preceding engine oil. JASO T903:2006 compliant.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
As I posted before, do some research. The API spec of SN, or SM are new, and require the lower use of wear preventing agents like Zinc and Phosphorus. ANY oil, motorcycle or not that gets this spec means they are clean burning, which means they are harder on your hard wearing bearings, cams, lifter and bearings.

I would not ever consider running this oil because it passed that spec in my bike. No "racing" oil gets this spec because the additives are simply too environmently unfriendly, and the API, EPA ect won't allow those additives.

For protection, you don't want this spec oil.

Jon

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Jon,

Thanks for the info! I went back and checked out your post on the oils and I will be the first one to tell you that I am not an oil expert by any means. I am wondering what made you decide to go with the Maxim 530 MX over all the others and are you by any chance running a Rekluse clutch kit with your snowbike?

Thanks

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
My choice to run Maxima over other brands goes back a long way as a racer. They used to support the canadian national enduro and hare scramble series through me, I would give out their product at the races. I've since had a hip replacement and really can't race right now.

Anyway, if you go to an independent site and look at used oil analysis, you'll see that even USED maxima oil has more additives left after being used for a change interval than what others started with brand new.

Anyway, I'm sure it's not the only good oil out there, but I can attest to the protection provided by the Maxima in my bikes. I went with the 5w30 because I like thinner oils for flow, and also for high temperature stability.

Jon

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I thought I'd also add, I've sold many brands of motorcycle oil, and now I sell car oils. Not Maxima, but my search for the truth about what differentiates one oil from another has been something I've been passionate about for a while. So I've self learned alot about oils, specs, manufacturers requirements, EPA's set of rules, and the API, ACEA, and just oil in general.

All oils are not created equally, not all synthetics are created equally. The data is out there, make your own informed choice.

Jon

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
This site has lots of info, and used oil analysis:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Once you find some UOA of a given oil, you can search out that same info on other sites, usually it's on Diesel specific sites.. Then you can get all the data from multiple sources to see what might be a common theme between given oils, or given motors.. It's always tricky to accurately figure out why a metal is being created in a motor oil, but something being added over the course of that oils life is usually not good, it's just figuring out why.

Keep in mind, the application of a given oil is important when looking at how well an oil holds up.. BUT once you get a few used oil tests, compared to the new oil tests, you can formulate your own opinions about whatever brand of oil you choose.

In the automotive world a common misconception is I've been running X brand/model of oil for 20 years without a problem. The problem is that oil has evolved over the years to meet certain manufacturers specs and API specs.. As a result the oil MIGHT be the same, but likely isn't the same as the API's newest specs really are not about oil quality, it's about emmissions and catalyst life. As it turns out Zinc poisons the typical rare metal palladium and platinum cats. DPFs are also something that now have to be dealt with, and any oil that releases too much into a dpf will basically cause the manufacturer to spend too much money on the emmission system.. So they spec this particular oil to save THEM money over the life of the warranty on the catalysts..

Of course, most of us don't run API spec'd oil in our bikes, nor should we be. BUT if you do, be ultra careful. Even if you think you are putting the same oil in your bike this year that you did last year, it's completely possible that the oil in the bottle is different than it used to be.

I've seen a few engines actually get hot enough to "coke" up the oil in the small galleys in a motorcycle engine. This results in top end oil starvation, and in each case, it was the same oil. PM me for what brand this was, I don't want to publically slander a brand, but I stand by what I saw first hand, and as a result I will never run that MAJOR brand of oil in anything I own as I simply do not trust it.

Jon

Premium Features