• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better backshift - What secondary spring would you suggest?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Back to secondary spring issue:
My sled is running good enough but noticed black ring about ½" wide in the middle of the primary moveable sheave while climbing. In any conditions there's no marks of slippage. So I assume my aligment isn't good enough or little stiffer secondary spring may be solution. I had stock weights in when noticed this. Usually I'm using CPC 65-75gr adjustables. So may those adjustables fix it too?

My sled is CF 7 -06 with RS 8 kit, 141" extreme, float susp and 10.4" secondary. Clutching (when I noticed those marks) is Cat 75gr, Cat Y/W, torsional Cat R/W and Cat 44/40. Elevation 0-3000ft.

So my question is:
Which secondary spring is little stiffer than Cat R/W? AC Green is way too stiff for my elevation.

Another thing I'm going to try next year is 46/40 progressive helix. Would this be my cure? :)

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If it is only on one side you would think alignment would be more of an issue, how do your engine mounts look, Mine are all f-up after the last ride. Check the alignment and check the clutches for parallelism first.

M
Aug 11, 2008
Back to secondary spring issue:
My sled is running good enough but noticed black ring about ½" wide in the middle of the primary moveable sheave while climbing. In any conditions there's no marks of slippage. So I assume my aligment isn't good enough or little stiffer secondary spring may be solution. I had stock weights in when noticed this. Usually I'm using CPC 65-75gr adjustables. So may those adjustables fix it too?

My sled is CF 7 -06 with RS 8 kit, 141" extreme, float susp and 10.4" secondary. Clutching (when I noticed those marks) is Cat 75gr, Cat Y/W, torsional Cat R/W and Cat 44/40. Elevation 0-3000ft.

So my question is:
Which secondary spring is little stiffer than Cat R/W? AC Green is way too stiff for my elevation.

Another thing I'm going to try next year is 46/40 progressive helix. Would this be my cure? :)

Erlandson purple is what I use.

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
Torsional, torsional, torsional......bah!

I have been trying to tune the DD secondary since 2006. This year I started winning races. Part of the problem in past was lack of tuning components. A lot has changed and some great DD tuning items coming out. Finding the right combo can be a challenge. There is also a lot that can be done to the primary and secondary to extract more performance. Spend some time holding your clutches tight, but lovingly, and you will see. Sometimes not focusing solely on the secondary, but how the primary and secondary work together can open a few more doors.

Some good points here about helix angle cuts and duration of the cuts. LOTS to work with there. Think about that for a while.

Anyone who has "binding" in the secondary should take a close look at the bushings for scarring. They are junk! Good bushing out of a better material would make a world of difference. A few working on that.

Feeling cocky so I had so say somehting.....Now back to the regularily scheduled programming.

Premium Features