• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Fuel Controller? Boondocker, Pure Logic or Power Commander?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I will finally be getting my 09 M8 Sno Pro tomorrow after a lot of waiting.

The sled is coming from the dealer with a brand new SLP pipe installed and I have a BDX airbox on the way.

I'm thinking I should better go ahead and get a fuel controller before something bad happens because we have oxygenated (ethanol) fuel in these parts.

I have never used a fuel controller before.

So which one should I get?

I hear a lot about Boondocker boxes but, I was convinced to order a Pure Logic Box. If it's not the right one to have, I'm not opposed to sending it right back without even opening the box.

Do I need EGTs and a air/fuel gauge to dial in the settings?
What's the easiest to use?
What's the best?
What has the most versatility?
What company best supports your tuning questions?
Warranty? Who takes care of you the best?

I could sure use some baseline settings as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
yes you need egts or airfuel to tune your box properly..koso dual egts are simple and great..justin on here sells them..and a/f guages..codered performance...instrument section

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Thx for posting Frostbite i tested mine on Sunday found out i am going to need one its burning way to lean at higher rpm's, i too am trying to decide. You are probably gonna want to gut your hood and install lots of venting that pipe gets hot and keep a eye on your plugs, i can't believe how much better these sleds go with the slp if you are running the stock airbox you should be just fine for now, i used up all the deflector tape on my old airbox to wrap up wires and shield my hood wrap up as much as you can it gets hot right around the vent that pretty much sits on top of it make sure those 2 tabs are cut off they will melt on pipe.

Last edited:
M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
If your just going to run in stock form or with bolt on mods or NOS, the boondocker box is the way to go. It isn't the most user friendly but has way more features and adjustability than the others. Once you learn it you can really fine tune a sled.

If your turbo-ing it then attitude or pure logic box as it is more user friendly and with a turbo it usually is just where you add more gas and with which injectors. You cannot subtract fuel with these boxes.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Are the Attitude and the Pure Logic the same box? I thought I read they were at least made by the same manufacturer?

I thought I needed EGTs or an air/fuel gauge (if you don't have them how would you knwo where to add fuel). I'll order an EGT today.

Thanks

B
Dec 21, 2006
A lot of people think the Attitude and Pure logic are the same. They are close but heres the deal. Both companies buy the base box from Doebek. Then you can do what you want as a company with the box. Derek from Attitude used to work for Pro Logic(OVS) and has since branched out on his own. Since Derek is the FI guy the Attitude box is the more updated unit. If this is the way that you go, give me a ring and I will give you my settings.

Nov 12, 2008
go power comander you can get them I heard with the programing all set up for the Slp pipe by slp great reviews check it out

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Make sure untill its vented that you wrap your oil cap and sending unit with foil, otherwise kiss those good by too.......

This is bone stock !

Irwin-CementCreek022509103.jpg

Irwin-CementCreek022509104.jpg

Irwin-CementCreek022509101.jpg

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The more I get into this the simplicity of a SLP pipe, porting, headwork, air intake and a preprogramed Boondocker box or Power Commander sure sound like the way to go.

One vendor with a proven recipe for performance certainly has it's bennefits.

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
The more I get into this the simplicity of a SLP pipe, porting, headwork, air intake and a preprogramed Boondocker box or Power Commander sure sound like the way to go.

One vendor with a proven recipe for performance certainly has it's bennefits.

Lee if you decide to not go with the pure Logic just refuse it when you get it that way your not stuck with freight. i am telling you tho go with what i sold you. Call me tommorrow Mike hasn't left yet and he said he can talk to you about his box. His trip was delayed.

Michelle

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
I've seen the power commander in action and it is a nice box. I like the fact that you get computers software with it where you can view your fuel map. Then you can create custom maps in 200 rpm intervals. Save custom maps and then just download them to the box. Seems like more fine tuning, if you need. Also being able to view the map on your computer would be easier to tune with IMO.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
has anyone used the preprogrammed boxes from slp, have you needed to do much or any tuning to them?

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
Power commander

They have been making them for motorcycles for a long long time . Now they have made there way into the snowmobile world and they works great . We put the SLP pipe , intake and v force reeds on a friends 09 M1000 . I am here to tell you the preset box from SLP works great we HAVE NOT had to ajust it at all . The thing runs great all day long every day . I had a 05 m7 with a boondockers box on it and I hated it had to adjust it all the time . It was a hard sell for me tell I seen the Power Commander in action . Because all I herd was good about the Boondockers box and it was far from good . Power Commander has my vote .

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I've got the PC on my '09 M1000. I had the BD previously. The PC runs cleaner in the bottom and mid range. On the top end, I don't think either has the advantage. PC is a simple addition, my 6yr old could have completed the install....I haven't had to touch the PC since I put it on. Either way you go, SLP has good setup's on both (on the M1000, not sure on the M8??)

Premium Features