• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault Down Electrical fire!!!!!!!!!

W
Feb 1, 2008
Pasco,Wa
So yesterday at Tollgate almost 2 feet of fresh having an awesome day boon dock'n and climb threw the trees. We started playing on a hill that had a few draws on it and my brother got stuck in a pretty messed up spot sorry pics won't be up till tomorrow. So any ways I climbed up to where he was and started to turn down to him went to grab a little brake and there was none there to grab (had to use the little green brakes that sick up out of the snow) so I get it stoped and smell smoke. I thought maybe my bros turbo melted his side panel at first till I opened my hood to pu my goggles in to defrost. Thats when I noticed brake fluid everywhere and my wiring harness was fried. So what we believe happened was my hand warmers shorted out and arced on the brake line causing a small fire under the hood. Needless to say I was not happy but I rode it the rest of the day and figured what the hell if it gets wrecked due to no brakes it may not be my problem. Ok I am done venting but has anyone else had this problem.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
So yesterday at Tollgate almost 2 feet of fresh having an awesome day boon dock'n and climb threw the trees. We started playing on a hill that had a few draws on it and my brother got stuck in a pretty messed up spot sorry pics won't be up till tomorrow. So any ways I climbed up to where he was and started to turn down to him went to grab a little brake and there was none there to grab (had to use the little green brakes that sick up out of the snow) so I get it stoped and smell smoke. I thought maybe my bros turbo melted his side panel at first till I opened my hood to pu my goggles in to defrost. Thats when I noticed brake fluid everywhere and my wiring harness was fried. So what we believe happened was my hand warmers shorted out and arced on the brake line causing a small fire under the hood. Needless to say I was not happy but I rode it the rest of the day and figured what the hell if it gets wrecked due to no brakes it may not be my problem. Ok I am done venting but has anyone else had this problem.

Same exact thing on my buddys d-8. Wire shorted on the steel braided brake line, smoke, fire, meltdown....

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT

wow! that is crazy! at least you didn't notice you had no brakes while you were comming down some gnarly chute or something!:eek::eek

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
did you put a riser on it? they have a really crappy idea to have the wires and brakeline run up through that aluminum bracket that cuts the wires

W
Feb 1, 2008
Pasco,Wa
Getting irritated missing out on good snow!!!

No I did not have a riser it is bone stock other than the hand gaurds, billet cap and billet handle oh and the mountain addiction cans. I just ordered my riser and its going to get a complete electrical over haul once the warranty is up before I put the Hair Dryer on it.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
No I did not have a riser it is bone stock other than the hand gaurds, billet cap and billet handle oh and the mountain addiction cans. I just ordered my riser and its going to get a complete electrical over haul once the warranty is up before I put the Hair Dryer on it.

My buddys hand guards were the problem, his fault. But you gotta ask, why no fuse? how hard is it to fuse protect the wire harness??

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
My buddys hand guards were the problem, his fault. But you gotta ask, why no fuse? how hard is it to fuse protect the wire harness??

$20 or $30 at radio shark can get you a handful of inline fuse holders.

$2 or 3 if you go to mouser/digikey/allied/newark.

W
Feb 1, 2008
Pasco,Wa
Wow

Only two weeks later and the parts are in and Polaris is actually going to warranty it.:):):):beer;:beer;:beer; Now can we get some more late season snow??? Oh and the cause is still unknown its been looked at and a few issues could have been the cause # 1 being from the factory the hand warmer power was clamped under the master cylinder.

Premium Features