• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault Broken A-Arms 30+Miles From Truck, and video of the ride home.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Hit a bump and had the A-arms shear at the welds, was going dead slow, didnt even bend the tie-rod or break any plastic. Polaris better stand behind this, or they will lose another (showroom) customer. Too bad I'll just be building an IQR with a 1200 WC motor, lol. This was only part of the ride, was up in a very nice bowl when this happened, the fun part of the ride was getting down off the mountain to the trail.
swcb20
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Ridiculous that the welds broke like that! Good job getting it out...

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
A arms Terrible

I went through 2 of them on my dragon and said hell with it and got the Holz front end. Should have done it from the beginning. Sucks you pay over 10 grand for a machine and the A arms don't hold up. Even if they do stand behind them be prepared to keep replacing them. Good luck.

C
Mar 2, 2009
Haha my dad did the same thing... my buddy and I engineered a new front end. Funny thing is, my other buddy rented an M6 and couldn't lose my dad on the trail ride down the mountain. When he got to the bottom he was like, "handled like a cat"

Edit: Oh yeah, it took out the tie rod too...

a arm1.jpg a arm 2.jpg a arm 3.jpg

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
This is how we got my dads sled out after I landed on a rock:mad:
Broken trailing arm, 2 tie rods, and shock.
Notice the wrench we used as a washer on the back of the Trailing arm

DSCN2348.jpg DSCN2353.jpg DSCN2354.jpg

Red Beron

Premium Member
Jul 27, 2009
Duluth MN
Red Beron

yea, that does suck!! somebody was sleeping on the job that morning! hope polaris stands behind it?! also hope that sh@# doesn't happen to mine!!!! I've taken some sick drops with mine and seen no stress on the welds?

I bent both of my lower A-Arms, and never hit on thing! I thought I had a shock issue sled was sitting funny in my garage. Polaris said it was rider abbuse and would not cover anything. I am 50, I sent a letter to Polaris I better get a responce or I will have to go back to Doo!

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Had to ride this one out as you see if from valley in background.. Sled held up well actually after a pretty hard hit from day before then it broke at the most in opportune time in this valley in background. Went down there to help a guy out that was stranded in deep pow and didnt know way out.

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
My front left A-arm is rusting at one weld, I have been watching it from the first few rides. I am a bigger than average guy and ride the sled hard, but not to it's limits. I'm thinking these were welded with incorrect material or equipment settings, from my somewhat amateur experience, maybe too hot or dissimilar metal corrosion? Have thought that I’ll need to replace it before I’m out in a bad place with one ski!?

I love my sled and it did make it through an average season with no major problems. I'm sure Polaris will take care of manufacturing or design defects it just may be hard to tell after the thing is bent 90 degrees, even if not rider/obstacle caused.

Just a little concerned that maybe it is time for a surprise Polaris visit to this subcontractor?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
guys, if you look at your lower arms, and notice paint missing/ rust developing right at the joint between the tube and the cast nuckle on the arm I would be willing to bet your arms are bent from bottoming out..I took out 2 lower arms from the shocks bottoming. once the shock bottoms the only place left to move is for the arm to bend....if you look close you can see the arms are bent.......
Picture081-1.jpg

the pto side arm failed 2 rides later backing it off the trailer...when I picked up the new arm and compared them it was obvious that both arms were bent...this happened the first season with the stock shocks..last season it had float-2's on it and no bottoming..and no more arm problems....

Premium Features