• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone else snapping exhaust valve bolts off in the motor when riding?

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
end of feb, beg of march i snapped the pto side exhaust valve bolts off in the motor on a ride. It defintaly cut the ride short. I could only get 7200 rpms.

Well this weekend in eagles pass i snapped the other side bolts. I wish i knew why these bolts would snapp off in the motor. I am riding hard, but it doesn't make sense.

tim

here is some pics of the blue bird day

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Nice pictures....did you have the bolts off before the ride sometime? Possible that they are over torqued...

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
yup, buddy of mine snaped his, never had 'em apart, just broke. Not sure what side. 09 D8 700miles

D
Dec 4, 2007
Denver, CO
what motor is it on? new or used sled? I had problems with mine, but i'm pretty sure mine was some dumb **** over-torquing them. They didn't snap on me but were stripped. 02 800 motor on mine

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
yep. one broke riding....about 350 miles. they had to replace the cylinders, couldn't get the remaining part of the bolt out of the block. ran great after that. then replaced valve springs......last bolt, snapped while tightening....before i reached recommended torque. new cylinders again. good thing poo saved .001 cents on those bolts?????

vertical800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Columbus, ND
Snapped both bolts off mine on pto side. Never had been touched either 420 miles 08 D8. Mechanics tried everthing to get them out heat, drilling, ez outs they finally snapped off there ez out in one hole and kind of wrecked my cylinders trying to get the other one out. Found out I scored the pto piston anyway trying to ride it out of the backcountry in Cooke City. So shes dead and no parts to fix it. I wasn't going to say anything on here about it but now that it's happening to other guys I might as well join in.

Flit-e

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Riverton, Mountain View..Wyoming
they are coming loose then the movement of the valve takes out the bolt...if it breaks flush place a nut over it and mig then weld down.

Flit-e

ps if you have not had an issue yet check your tq

Last edited:
S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
One of my valves came loose after just 300km on the Assault, no damage to the bolts, gasket or valve, just put the bolts back in and tightened. I have not had any more problems with that in the 1200km since.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
they are coming loose then the movement of the valve takes out the bolt...if it breaks flush place a nut over it and mig then weld down.

Flit-e

ps if you have not had an issue yet check your tq

interesting fix....i do not believe it is a torque issue. they either switched and went with the cheapest supplier, or their supplier screwed them and cheapened up the bolt. in 6 years never had one of these bolts do this, now it is happening often. believe it is the same issue with the motor mount bolts........POLARIS ARE YOU LISTENING???? you need to get some quality assurance on your hardware! parts that cost pennies are costing you THOUSANDS PER SLED!!! and killing your dealers. not to mention the p*ss off factor of the customer. absolutely NO reason for this. :mad:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Happened to me. Grade 8 bolt for exhaust valve sheared at the block on pto side. Took a left hand drill bit to get it out...

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
My guess is cylinder heat in that area is causing the cylinder to expand faster than the exhaust valve housing causing side loads and snapping them over time.

Premium Features