• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A different oil pump adjustment question 800HO

C
Oct 27, 2019
When you adjust your oil pump cable, should you have the end hooked up to the oil pump arm, or just leave it unhooked. I left it unhooked the first time I tried and had to screw the adjuster out so far that it came out of the cable. I had too much cable to take up. I figured this couldn't be right and that the cable couldn't have stretched that far so I tried it the other way. I left the cable end attached to the oil pump arm and then separated and measeured the cable where specified. This seemed to work better, but I had to screw the adjuster all the way in this time. Even then I wasn't able to get it exactly right. It's a lot closer though. Now the mark on the oil pump arm and the pin on the oil pump are very close to being lined up. The first way I did it, it looked like the oil pump was half open, even at idle. So I think I have it right now, since I measured the cable with it hooked up to the pump arm. Could you guys let me know how you've done it and what you think. I'm close to riding it, but want to have everything right. Thanks a lot, Dave

Premium Features